just a little 600

monker

Well, after a summers worth of work, I finally started my 'project' sled last night. :rockon: Only took 5 pulls from a engine, carbs, and fuel pump that had been apart all summer. As soon as I get my throttle cable I'll be ready to go. As for the changes, my 600 sx twin now has a: 700 tripple motor, ceramic coated hauck tripple pipes, firecat rear suspension and 1" track w/ 170 studs, custon tunnel extension, new guage pod with large gauges, C&A skiis, revalved viper front shocks. (I think that's it) Oh, and handlebar hooks. And of course TY sticker.

All the parts and changes I've done to the sled have come from people on this site. (except the cat stuff that came from hardcoresledder). Thanks to everyone that I delt with. I've never had a problem. :rocks:

Pics to come. Probably next week after I get the throttle cable installed and new clutch springs.

Last edited:

How is that pod fit on there? Hope it went on there good you. Hey if you need a cable i have one for you from the sled im parting out.

Jeff

yamahaman- pod went right on. I was actually thinking of painting it red first, but liked the blue/red combination.

98srx6- the track is a 128x13.5

sorry, but no pics until I can drive it out of the garage. Not much room to get any good angles. ;)!

Holy sheet.....lol....that thing really is trick with that cat skid under it...does it fly and how does it handle the moguls??

My hope is that it will handle the bumps with ease. I won't know until I get it on the snow though. It's going to be a long wait. I've only gone back and forth across the lawn once with it. I'm waiting on the right clutch parts; just couldn't take it any longer. It sure did pull hard though. ;)! I've got a corner to corner setup with 8dns and a 660 setup with 8cas that I have to fine tune. The rear seems to sit a little high, but a little gas and it levels right out.

At the moment the belt seems rather tight. I have checked the center to center, and it is a little less than the spec. I may have to shim the secondary some so I don't smoke the belt. It should all come together once the clutch parts arrive.

Similar experience

I changed my 600 twin a couple of years ago and have added an expert x rear suspension. After looking at you pictures you may be in the same boat I was. The powerplant needs more than the stock 600 cooling system can provide when the back end is that high. On mine I first tried just added a 700sx cooler to the back, this was marginal. I then added 700srx coolers to the sides and have the 700sx cooler in the rear. This works pretty well but I still think the srx rear would be better. I have some additional engine mods over yours though I think.. I think Yamaha's are pretty heat sensitive when they don't get a lot of conduction cooling on the front heat exchanger. I could be wrong though. You can check out my sled here:http://mypeoplepc.com/members/jwiedmayer/jwiedmayer1998sx600/

I had heat issues when I was running the twin with twin pipes. At that time I put on a set of SX heat exchangers and rear heat exchanger. That would have been a big setback if I hadn't already done it. Thanks for the advice though. Hopefully it won't be too hot the way it is.

Your sled looks pretty sweet. How did you like the peak head?

I had the head gasket mod and a ceramic coated stock head before this one. The peak head is about equal in power to the stock with the gasket mod. It does cool better however, I don't think it is as good a cylinder head nut retention torque.

Thanks. Right now I haven't done the head gasket mod. I want to make sure I don't have any bugs to work out first. With the pipes I may not do it anyway, just to keep a little peice of mind.

Bog

I had the bog when I put everything back together. But I rebuilt and ported the engine before I put it in. You'll porbably have to change the fuel screws with the pipes. The boost bottle really helped the low end carb tuning in my opinion.

Sounds like a good sleeper, just like my dad's. He bought a wrecked 01' SX700R from an insurance auction and Picked up black plastic lowers and a white Phazer 500 hood from a wrecking yard. Looks just like a Phazer 500 except for the painted silver tunnel (phazers had natural finish tunnels). Damn thing sounds mean for a 500 cc fan :D

Wow what a sled

I

envy you guys! Here in europe we dont have so much mod parts available for yamaha. It really looks nice, :rockon: when u have change to ride tell how goes....litte video maybe???

ike

Back