Vmax-4

Hebi

With the cost of newer sleds nowdays, Im thinking that in the future I might be wiser to buy older sleds that need a little work.
Im thinking about having a small collection of Yamahas. I thought I might call it the "holy trinity" or something.
Heres what Im thinking:
Vmax-4. Face it folks, even to this day the Vmax-4 will run with just about anything on the snow.
700 SRX. The Polaris dealer that my parents go to up in Minocqua got one of these in used a few years back. The owner was a die-hard Polaris man and thought that Yamahas were a joke. Since he had heard the SRX was Yamahas top-dog sled at the time, he decided to take it for a spin one day. These are his exact words, "I have never ridden a stock sled that would not only carve corners like it was on rails but would also accelerate so hard out of the corners that it felt like your arms were being ripped out of their sockets." He also said, "I love Polaris, have owned nothing but Polaris for 30 years and Im too old to change. However, I now have respect for Yamaha." This gentleman also rode an RX-1 last winter and all he said was, "Its a nice sled, I wish Polaris would make something like it".
Lastly, RX-1.
Its just a dream right now. I was thinking the other day I would be cool to have such a collection.
Actually though, my father sort-of inspired me to this. Now that he is retired, he has buy buying a few older Polaris sleds and restoring them.
He's got a '78 TX, '80 TXL Indy and an old Polaris Sno-Pony.
My brother also has a decent collection of Polaris sleds too. Hes got a '89 Indy Sport 340, '97 Indy 500, '98 Indy 700 XC, '97 Indy 440 XCR and this spring he's getting an '05 Fusion 440 sno-cross sled. He going to put the trail kit on the Fusion (mostly heads) so that you can at least find gas for it and so that its dependable.
Are Vmax-4s still fairly easy to find? Or am I looking at buying a decent chassis and then hunting for parts to put on it?
Hebi

Very Kewl Idea...would be awesome to have such a collection....:), Vmax 4s are around....I have seen several at the grass drags this year but are becoming more rare every year.

Yeah, I got all kinds of plans for toys that Id like to have.
Im looking for an old FJ-40 Toyota LandCruiser too. Id someday like to buy me an old Toyota pickup (a pre-Tacoma model) and build it for mud. I had an '85 Toyota 4Runner back when I was in highschool an Id like to find a pickup of the same bodystyle. Id put about 14" of lift on it, front and rear locking diffs, 38" tires.
Im also looking for a Toyota Supra. The year doesnt matter but its gotta be a turbo model. Im also looking to build up a Toyota Celica for racing someday.
I gots all kinds of "dreams". Dreams are good, its what gives me a reason to get outta bed in the morning. Every morning when that alarm goes off at 4:45 am and I think, "you know, I could just go back to bed" that voice in my head says, "Hey, dont be stupid, you want that RX-1 or not???"
Hebi

i had a `95 vmax4 it was awesome machine the fit and finish was like no other sled in its time.the sled was soooo fast i would wrap the speedo past 120 mph like it was nothing i know the speedos are off on there speeds.so take it for what it is worth. i had problems with getting traction,when i started off in a holeshot it would jump up to the 90 mph mark and just barely moving ( one hell of a roost ) lol. so i put 240 studs in and holy crap what hook up. it would pull your shoulder joints apart on the ice. wicked fast.
my buddy had a `98 machz 800 i would eat him for lunch every time and the 900 thunderpuddy was a joke for the v-4 so i would highly recomend this sled,it is very reliable too never had a problem till a drunk driver t-boned me and totaled my sled and broke my leg. go for it,it will leave a smile everytime you ride her. :yam:

yep, my brother just bought a v 4 on ebay in colorado. He drove out there in a weekend from MI to pick it up. He is crazy. The sled has a 136" track and is sounds awsome. Cant wait to ride it this winter. I hope that he doesn't kill himself. My dad has had my brother and I on sleds since we where 4 or 5. we both started on an old 1984 bravo that we still have. The v4 is truely an amzing machine.

Does anyone know have an aftermarket pipe for it? or where to get one, and how much do they usually go for?

thanks

Back