Trailering with covers

craig41071

I just bought a 08 FX HO and a 08 VX Cruiser for wife thought about buying covers even though they sit in garage but when on trips and out in parking lots I thought about covers to protect from fading

is it alright to trailer with covers for 80mph interstate speeds? Will wind flap damage finish? That is what i am scared of

THANKS

Yamaha sells an under-cover(softer material) that goes between the hood and the outer cover. Also some people unzip the gas flap on their covers, I dont like to do that because it allows the air to flow through the cover and cause's it to whip around. If you leave the flap closed the cover will balloon and move around alot less.
The cover will cause less damage then rock chips and salt blowwing all over your sled also!!

craig41071 said:
I just bought a 08 FX HO and a 08 VX Cruiser for wife thought about buying covers even though they sit in garage but when on trips and out in parking lots I thought about covers to protect from fading

is it alright to trailer with covers for 80mph interstate speeds? Will wind flap damage finish? That is what i am scared of

THANKS

The covers if left on will mark the finish on your waverunners paint and plastic front shrod. The wind will also gradually tear up your covers. I always take the covers off to prevent those problems. Stones will cause damage but that is usually under the rub rail and down where the cover doesn't protect. Covers are best for storage only, especially keeping the sun from fading your machines.

Well here in NY they use alot of salt and sand on the road and I use both a Yamaha viper cover and a ski doo rev cover and haven't had any issues with them fading or damaging the paint. I WILL NOT SHOW UP TO RIDE WITH TWO AWESOME SLEDS COVERED IN ROAD GRIME ;)!

Trailering Covers

I have actually purchased the factory covers for my waverunners and sleds. It's a bit of an investment over third party covers, but I have had great luck with them. That initial cost is what makes many of us search for third party covers.

Not to badmouth the other covers which work well if all I wanted was to keep the bird crap and sun fade off the unit while it sat on a lift or next to the house. The generic ones from Shadetree or Overtons work fine for that, but not for trailering.

I know most of my Yamaha factory waverunner covers were made by a company called Sunbrella. I'm not sure if they still do make them for Yamaha. They were custom fit to each model and included a cone-shaped vent towards the rear the sucked the air out of the cover and virtually eliminated fabric flap at highway speeds. To take advantage of this, you could not leave the fuel flap open, or it just plain did not work.

They also added a small loop on the sides to keep the cover pulled down, since this cone would suck it so tight it had a tendancy to pull up in the middle. I didn't do this and the finish on my Waverunners and sleds were fine.

Note that some covers are marked for trailering and some are marked as a mooring cover. There again, a big difference in what it will do on the highway. Mooring covers were usually made of a thinner material and didn't have the tie-down system for 80mph speeds.

Check Ebay for some options. Those that don't have the latest models may be able to pick up factory covers that are being cleared out by dealers.

Good luck,

Mark Lawson
Fargo, ND
Yamaha GP1200r, GP1200, Waveraider 760
Yamaha Phazer FX, SXR500, SRX700

Back