ExpertXViper's Viper Mini-Buggy build

Sno-Xr

Heres a couple of pics of ExpertXViper's Viper Mini-Buggy frame!
Looking good, keep the pics coming!

Attachments

• mini buggy 2 (Medium).jpg
    mini buggy 2 (Medium).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 35
  • mini buggy 1 (Medium).jpg
    mini buggy 1 (Medium).jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 25

Cool. I want to do the same thing... I'd love to get it road legal too but i'm not sure if you could do that. I just need to get the shop done and a TIG welder before I can start building it. How much do you think it'll cost you when you're all said and done ExpertXViper?

change_up said:
Cool. I want to do the same thing... I'd love to get it road legal too but i'm not sure if you could do that. I just need to get the shop done and a TIG welder before I can start building it. How much do you think it'll cost you when you're all said and done ExpertXViper?

More than I thought, but thats happens with any project. Right now I have prolly $4000 into it not including parting the Viper for the engine/clutches/electrical. Next 2 big purchases are radiator/fan and driveline(cvs, axles, cv flanges, stub axles, hubs), those 2 alone will set me back another $1000 ez. Not a cheap project, I could get away with it cheaper but saves me from upgrading or fixing in the future.

Making it street legal depends on your laws. For me to get away with it here in MI the major things Id need to make it street legal are lights, street legal tires, and a differential you cant have a live axle setup.

I actually have a frame almost identical to that i will sell it for $300. It is tack welded I am in the process of getting some pics of it. XTC motorsports in Silver Lake may have a differential setup.

Well since I have a job and a place to work on it now, the build is back on. Im finshing up the 5x8 wooden fab table and painting the table top white. I plan on measuring out 3in and 6in increments to measure off of. And for the last time the engine that will be used on this build is no longer a sled engine, its getting a 01 R1 engine. Between having to run extra jackshaft and huge expansion chambers this engine is gunna make life so much eaiser and be a little bit more fun since Ill be able to shift. Keep you eyes open for updates.

Brett

Sweet! Snows melting fast and openning day at the Dunes is fast arriving!! Good luck and keep us posted.

Sno-Xr said:
Sweet! Snows melting fast and openning day at the Dunes is fast arriving!! Good luck and keep us posted.

I have pics of all the parts Ive collected over the past 2 years, I just need them re-sized so I can post them. Im waiting for my front spindles assembly's to come in from a guy in Texas so I can start designing the front A-Arms. But that one thing Ive learned from this project, you really cant build or design anything till you have the most expensive parts of the build. Ill list the grand total of the build when its all done.

I ended up going a different route on my work table top, originally I had plans just to work on 5ftX8ftX3/4in painted piece of plywood with permanent marker graph lines. But I got a great deal($50) on a 4X10 sheet of 10ga. so I had that sheared to 4X5 so it fits perfect on my 5X8 table top which I will scribe graph lines into. But thats after leveling the plywood table top out with fiberglass body filler. Which the reason behind that was I wanted my work surface to be flat/level as possible The table took a gallon and half of filler but only in 2 spots....thats well over 10lbs of filler....LOL.....

But the last week Ive been working on getting my WR450 lighted up for the street. Im actually going over kill with turn signals in MI cause you dont need turns signals to be legal, I just feel much safer with them. The WR is getting LED turn signals, brake switch's front/rear, horn, speedo and a 4200k PIAA H/L bulb. Mods done to the bike already, FMF Titanium Factory4.1 with S/A, Air Box mod with UNI filter, Grey wire mod, Boyseen Quickshot 2, Zipty Fuel Screw, JD jetted, and it runs on 10W40 Amsoil. But since I have the bike torn down this far Im gunna do a valve adjustment if needed.

Last edited:
Send your pics to ice_cold_snowmobiler@hotmail.com Hotmail has a 10.0MB limit so you may have to split it up in more than one email. I'll then resize and post them for you. Please put "Mini-Buggy build pics (resize)" in subject line so I know what they are for. Thanks.

Part Pics

Some parts but diff. not everything I got, I just dont have the time to take pics of everything I got cause its more than I thought.

The front shocks are Honda TRX450R front shocks and the rear shocks are from the rear A-Arm suspension on a Honda TRX700XX. Got about $500 tied up in those.

Honda Civic Mishimoto Radiator and 12in Fan assembly. $225 in those

Stock 00 R1 Header which will be modded to fit the application, alone with a Carbon Fiber Yoshi pipe which Ill be making a custom spark arrestor for. $300 in those

I running a 4 pedal set up on the buggy. Hyd. Clutch, Frt and Rr Brakes and Throttle. The seat belts are RCI 5 point belts. Steering wheel is just a plain buggy steering wheel. Well over $800 in that

Protodie Rear Hubs and Live Axle assembly, which is where the race prepped 930CV's will mount to 22in axles. The rear caliper Ill be starting out with dual Viper calipers, if there not enough Ill be going to a 4 piston Wilwood caliper. The 5/8X1/2 Heim Joints will tie the rear A-Arm suspension to the frame and rear hub assembly's. Well over $2000 spent on those components.

Attachments

• rsz_rsz_buggy_005.jpg
    rsz_rsz_buggy_005.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 0
  • rsz_rsz_buggy_004.jpg
    rsz_rsz_buggy_004.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 2
  • rsz_rsz_buggy_003.jpg
    rsz_rsz_buggy_003.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 2
  • rsz_rsz_buggy_002.jpg
    rsz_rsz_buggy_002.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1
  • rsz_rsz_buggy_001.jpg
    rsz_rsz_buggy_001.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Few More Pics

More Parts

Rear wheels/tires:12in ITP Grizzly Wheels wrapped in some free 25in Maxxis tires. Ill end up going to ITP Terra Cross or Kenda Bearclaws once its done just using there for mach up.

Front wheels/tires: Stock YFZ450 front wheels and tires, which will only be used for mach up and backups. Ill be going to ITP baja wheels and 23in Kenda Bearclaws. About $400 in both of those

Engine is a 01 R1 which only had 1500miles when I bought it, it came pretty much complete besides speedo,speedo harness, ign switch. I did recently install Graves Motorsports SMOG Plugs, to eliminate all that crap. Ive got about $1700 in the complete turn key set up, paid $1200 for just the engine minus what I listed above.

Attachments

• rsz_rsz_buggy_006.jpg
    rsz_rsz_buggy_006.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 0
  • rsz_rsz_buggy_007.jpg
    rsz_rsz_buggy_007.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 2
  • rsz_rsz_buggy_008.jpg
    rsz_rsz_buggy_008.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
crewchief47 said:
Is running the two separate brake pedals something the buggy guys do? Just wondering why/if a balance bar type pedal wouldn't work?

Its really all up to the persons preference, Ive seen all types of different set ups. I wanted the option to use just the fronts or just the rear, or both pedals will be close enough together to use both at the same time. If I dont like that set up, Ill just change it. Nothing on the buggy is getting painted or powder coated till all the tweaks are worked out. The buggy will not have turning brakes cause something this small and powerful shouldnt need em.

Check this site out..http://protodie.com/index.html..This is the company that made the rear axle and hub assemblys. If I had the money all at once I would have just bought his 2 seat rolling chassis but I dont have 9g's just laying around for something like that. But I got to give it to Jody(Owner) he knows his sh$$ and builds some top notch buggys.

Last edited:
Thanks. Haven't had any exposure to driving buggies. I'm going to guess it's primarily for the sand over near L. Michigan (know the name but drawing a COMPLETE blank right now ;)! ) or more multi use?

Back