Ripsaw on SRX 2002

tooold

Has anyone put a Ripsaw on a 02 SRX if so how ?

Last edited:

That track will fit right onto your sled and you will love it. I believe there are directions on the tech page on how to change the track by first removing your rear skid, then taking apart the chaincase. Its pretty easy...should only take a couple hours your first time, if that.

I just did it this past weekend, It is not that hard. You first take off the primary and secondary clutches. Then you take off the pipes. then you take out the chaincase and braking system. Then the speedo, then you finally remove the drive axel. This whole process took me about 45 min.

2000 Srx

Just wondering why you took off the primary clutch? I swapped out a track last year on my 02 SRX and didn't take it off. Just wondering if it makes it easier to do that on a certain step? How in the hell do you get the parking brake components back together? I had to disassemble the parking brake to get the brake off, and then couldn't figure out how to put it back on. I don't really use it for anything, just wondering where I screwed up.

Thanks

Chad

I also put one on my '02 this summer. I'm not sure about the secondary/primary thing as neither one have to come off for a track change. "Chance", I also had to disassemble my parking brake, but really only the cable had to be loosened to allow enough play to slide it away from the brake disk which would then permit you to pull the chain case off.

The track will rub the very top of the tunnel protectors and the front heat exchangers. I shaved the track lugs a 1/4 inch in just those areas and it still rubs just a tad. I personally wouldn't worry about it rubbing as there won't be enough heat produced during that reaction to compromise the track as the cooling effect of the snow would more than be sufficient; but rather the friction of the rubber on the exchanger will effectively wear the lugs down until they rub no longer.

Jon

Last edited:
Has anyone heard about anyone wearing a track in instead of trimming it down? I also have a ripsaw and an undecided on what to do. How much of a 1 1/4 actaully rubs - if it is alot I am sure I have to do something and I don't really wanna remove the protectors of I don't have too. thanks

I have heard that it is not too bad for the track to wear in to the protectors. Its not hard to remove them though and you will not need them unless you stud your sled. My 98 srx does not come with the protectors and i have had no problems with a 1.25" track on it.

I have heard great things about both the ripsaw and the 9818. Both seem to have a reputation for great durability and performance.

I have the 9818 and it made a huge difference on trails and in the powder. Im sure the ripsaw would produce similar results.

Just put my ripsaw on my '02 viper. I took the stock tunnel and front heat exchanger protectors off - as I will not be running studs.

Front Protectors?

Do you think you can re-install the front protectors if needed? I do not plan on running studs on my ripsaw, but ya never know.

Koodat, I'm in the same boat as you! I don't plan on using studs again, but I have never gone w/o studs before. A few quick unsuspecting icy corners on an othwise good trail could change my mind.
I assume any shop that that has an Aluminum wire feed welder could weld the front heat exchangers Protectors back on. I think you would need to get a smaller spocket to accomidate a longer stud too.

Last edited:
I agree - there is no way you would be able to run long enough studs on a 1 1/4" track and leave the front protectors on without changing the sprocket.

As it is - the 1 1/4" track alone will rub on the front protectors.

Back