More slider wear running 1 1/4 track

hotrodd

A few of my buddies informed me my slider wear will be worse with my new track. ANy agree - hyfax wear is horrible on this sled as it is.

I have a 1.25" track and my hyfax wear is minimal. You just have to make sure your rear skid is adjusted properly (front limiter strap adjustment) and your track isnt too tight (do not tighten it to yamaha's specs).

Limiter Straps: Pull them up a little bit to relieve some of the pressure off of the front of the rails.

Track tension: Adjust the track so it is just barely tight enough to not ratchet on hard acceleration.

This should fix your hyfax wear assuming you dont run your sled in low snow conditions. I get at least 1 or 2 seasons on hyfax just by making these changes. Hope it helps.

Along with what SRX6 said, adjust the center shock spring preload to "zero", and replace the stock bottom spacer on the control rods with a 2.5 mm spacer instead of the 5 mm one.

Jon

Might also want to get a set of oversized wheels and the additional hyfax saver wheel - got the set up on my SRX and have 3000 miles on the same set of hyfax

I went with Ripsaw last year on my 2000 SRX and put 4 Doo wheels where the stock 5.125 go, i saw very little wear, i was actually impressed on how much a difference the slightly larger wheels made............James

Reaper,

Do you happen to have the part number for those Doo wheels? What else was needed for the quick swap; bearings, clips, spacers?

Jon

ecopter,

i did the same thing on my sled but only changed the front two, the bearings that the doo wheels use are the same as the bearings that the yami wheels use. so use the same spacers from the yami wheels you took off and put them into the doo wheels. the doo wheels are 5.375", thats the only difference. i've got about 2500 miles and still counting on my hyfax/ sliders, also with two years grass drags on them too!

btw, as for part #'s, visit you local sled salvage yard and pick up the doo wheels for alot cheaper than new ones :rockon:

Last edited:
does anyone have a part number for the doo wheels? Just wanna be sure I order the correct ones.

The idlers from 83-00 Indy's size 5.35", will fit right on the Yamaha. Just use the plastic spacers from the Yami and bolt them on. They will replace the Yamaha 5.125

O's srx said:
ecopter,

btw, as for part #'s, visit you local sled salvage yard and pick up the doo wheels for alot cheaper than new ones :rockon:

Down here in the southern tip of IL we don't have sled salvage yards. Maybe I can take some parts off one of my old John Deere 440 Trailfires and put those parts on one of my Vipers. LaLaLa

I have had the camo 9860 for 2800 miles with low snow conditions the last 2 years. My sled has 3500 miles and i just changed my hyfax and could have kept them on for another year, plenty of wear left. This is a stock skid no extra wheels or anything just run the track real loose. The only place i saw more wear was in the middle where there are no wheels.

Back