Project SRX!!!!

DeviantSRX

I found the first sled in a friend of mines garage after he had already stolen the track for use on his sled. The sled was an '01 SRX which had the misfortune of having the motor taken apart after some mechanical problems and never put back together. (it sat in a barn for the better part of four years completly apart and uncovered) The chassis was still in relativly good shape even though it had close to 6000 miles on it. I am a mechanic by trade and had completly gone through and rebuilt a number of quads and dirtbike so i figured a snowmobile motor wouldnt be much different, just a few more cylinders, right? Needless to say a few days later I meet the actual owner, and after a few strong drinks and a game of poker the sled was mine.

At the time I was in my last semester of college and the sled had to sit for a little whil longer. I started poking around trying to find a motor for this thing and it wasent long before I realized how much money it was going to take to get it back on the trail. Money I didnt have.

At this point though, I had done a fair amout of reaserch on the sled ad I was aware of what I had, the potential to have an awesome sled. So instead of looking for just a motor I decided to start looking for a wrecked sled that I could use the parts I had to fix. Thanks to some advice I got on this site and Craigslist.com, I found the exact same sled with only 1135 miles on it that had clipped a boulder and rolled. Most of the damage was done to the right front suspension, hood and windshield, all of which I had.

So after a weekends worth of work, I now have a running and ridable '01 SRX that I will continue to ride and build.

Pics comming soon!!
:yrules:

Attachments

• TY pic 1.jpg
    TY pic 1.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 539
  • TY pic 2.jpg
    TY pic 2.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 538
  • TY pic 3.jpg
    TY pic 3.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 541
  • TY pic 5.JPG
    TY pic 5.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 541
  • TY pic 7.JPG
    TY pic 7.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:

so your repairing the 01 SRX with only 1135 miles that was crashed??

Sounds like you will have a nice sled.

I can help with a few performance tips on clutching and some other things with some necessary maintenance that always gets over looked.

Yeah I'm keepin the roll over with 1150 miles and using the parts from my original sled with the motor issues as a parts sled now, that one had almost 6K on it. I actually have it all put together already and now Im just waitin for some snow. My avatar pic is of the roll over after I painted some of the accents and cleaned it up a bit to try to take away from the road rash down the left side. (you can actuall see the parts sled in the background too.) After some super glue, alittle sand paper and some spray paint you can hardly tell it rolled.

This is my first SRX so any advice and/or pointers you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-Jim
:rockon:

Rags to Riches

Just figured I throw out an up-date. This sled was lookin pretty rough when I got my hands on it is now lookin pretty damn sweet if ya ask me. Now all I need is some SNOW!!!!

Up grades since the start....

New rt trailing arm, both radius rods, sway bar link, and tie rod end
All shocks have been rebuilt and springs repainted
Dynoport can
New Hyfax
White Windy
White C&A Pro Razors
White Holeshot Skid Plate
White Grille Inserts
Powermadd Hand Gaurds
90* and 45* handle bar hooks
3" Powermadd riser
RSI Cable Extensions
Lots of elbow grease, wax, polish, and armor all
And of course some new stickers....

:rockon:

Attachments

• Oh Yeah, Time to ride!! (TY).jpg
    Oh Yeah, Time to ride!! (TY).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
DeviantSRX Good Work ;)! . Have you rode an SRX yet or this one? I think that pic might have been from a camera phone, do you have a digital camera? I would love to see some better picks of your sled, i always liked the white on SRX's. She's stating to look :bling:

Thanks Bender. And yes that was from a camrea phone. I'm waitin to get it out in the snow for a real "photo shoot" lol. I still have some polishin to do before its ready for that tho. I cant F'in wait for the snow to fly!

This ones only been ripped around a little bit on the grass in my yard as of now but I did get my hands on an 98 SRX a few years back. It was my buddys and he let me borrow it for a weekend and I've wanted one ever since. I was kinda sad when he sold his, I was a full time college student at the time and was flat broke so I couldnt afford to get it off him. Happy as hell to finally have my own!

thats awsome man good for you! I just overhauled my own battered beauty. parts aren't the cheapest for this machine. just graduated college and the budget is/was kinda small. but hours upon hours of hard work have paid off. im now a proud owner of my very own 02 MINT SRX. here snow, snow, snow......

have fun!!

Beekman -

Its a great feeling isnt it!? I just got outta school not too long ago myself so I know how it goes when you have something you want/need to do and just cant scrape up the means.....Sucks. I had one of my SRX sitting around for a bout a year before I was actually able to get to it - that was killin me. But like you said it paid off....Amen. I dont know how much longer I coulda looked at that sorry SRX sittin in my garage.

You should start your own log about you sled - I'd love to see some pics!
:rockon: :beer:

Hey, I got more white than you now!!! (as long as you're still rockin the clear windy)

I cant lie chilli, your sled definately gave me some inspiration for mine. The white on blue looks too F'in sweet. I think next summer I'm gonna go powder coat crazy and start addin lots of chrome and just a lil more white to the front susp. As long as you dont beat me to it then we should be able to tell them apart! lol

Hows the reverse commin by the way?

na, no hand guards, but I did replace the oem hot grips for a set of blue ones, and added a 2nd reostat, so now my hand/thunb are on seperate circuits...

I am adding the reverse setup as soon as it gets here, and have to to a top end job. She rolled over 15,000 KM last winter, on the stock rings and pistons

Ripsaw was installed the year before, as were adjustable transfer rods and blue snow flap.

Well then they're gonna be even alittle more alike, I'm waitin for my Maxx Perf. adjustable transfer rods to get here so I can install them along with my viper rear shocks within the next couple weeks.

Thats awesome that you got that many km's out of your sled with no problems, makes me feel pretty optimistic about mine since it only has 1100 miles on it. Thats good piece of mine to have cuz I dont plan to get rid of it any time soon...if ever lol

Better get movin on that rebuild!!!! I'd have to imagine that the snow will be flyin up there by you pretty soon if its not already

Last edited:
well, Im going to Myrtle beach tonight for a week, once I get back, SLED SLED SLED

Ive also been renovating a abthroom which I just finished...too many projects!!

Have fun in Myrtle Beach - That place is awesome! I went there on spring break a couple of times back in high school....damn... I guess been a while.

I know the feeling with too many projects - I just move into a new house in June and the projects havent stopped commin. I havent had hardly any time to play this summer. Just finished putin electrical and heat in the garage (a must for anywhere I live and was first on the list after the whole moving process) and now its on to refinishing the basement, and playin with the sled some more, and fixin the truck, and tinkerin with the dirtbike,....sigh.... it never ends.... :beer:

Back