When to rebuild 00 sxr 600

onlyblue

VIP Member
my wifes ride has bout 5500-6000 miles on it. we were gonna get rid of it for a new one, probably a rage... but decided another year was ok... should it be rebuilt? what things to look for that will need to be replaced? anyone? ;)!

You might want to replace the idler wheel bearings around 6000 miles. It's pretty cheap to do and if it rolls easier it will feel like added power! My wife has a V-max 600 with 6,200 miles on it. I just replaced the track, slides, rear shocks, wheel bearings, and the driveline bearings(three in the chaincase, one behind the driven clutch, and the left side driveshaft bearing under the driven clutch. If your planning to get rid of it, you may just want to do the wheels, but some of the other bearings are pretty easy. I agree with the others that the motor should be fine. You could throw a compression gauge on it to be sure if you wanted. The driveline bearings on my wifes sled were a little rough, but probably could have gone awhile longer, but her idler wheel bearings were in real bad shape.

Last edited:
ya but if you dont like walking at least do the one behind the spedo pickup. i had one of those go and had to walk home. a good indication if it is going is see if the sled will pick up speed going down a hill with no throttle. if it doesnt change it quick. i caught a couple of other sleds in the fleet doin this and the brg is only $10.00 can at canadian tire last time i looked.

I was going to say the exact same thing about the bearing behind the speedo housing. I also had one go on me. not any Fun #$%&*
Maim said:
ya but if you dont like walking at least do the one behind the spedo pickup. i had one of those go and had to walk home. a good indication if it is going is see if the sled will pick up speed going down a hill with no throttle. if it doesnt change it quick. i caught a couple of other sleds in the fleet doin this and the brg is only $10.00 can at canadian tire last time i looked.

we re bearingd my buddys venture last year and if i remember it was under $100 without spedo brg canadian. problem was we bought carbides, slider plastic and bearings for both his sleds at the same time. and 1 tierod end for venture. bill total was $145 ish canadian. the bearings are cheaper at a brg supply store so i would go there to get them.

the bearing will run you about 30 dollars from any bearing place. they are a little more expensive because they are metric. take your old one out and bring it down there probably your best bet. you might be able to remove secondary and speedo housing, release track tension, and try to pry it off from the inside. on mine i had to pull the drive axel right out and press the bearing off. about 2 guys, a saterday night, and a case of beer. fun ;):D

About 10 years ago I had a chaincase bearing go on my '90 Polaris Indy 400.
It started out with a "tick, tick, tick" that would speed up or slow down depending upon speed.
I had just started snowmobiling, so I told my father the noise it was making. He completely blew it off and said, "oh, there's probably just a chunk of ice bouncing around on the track.
Well, as the day went on I started to notice that I was having to give it more and more throttle just to maintain the same speed.
Eventually, it got to the point where I was having to give it 1/2 throttle just to maintain a speed of 30 mph.
I finally spoke up and told my father, "there is something wrong with this sled." He kinda rolled his eyes at me and said, "what are you so worried about, its probably just ice in the track." I basically snapped at that point and told him, "FINE THEN, you ride it and try to tell me theres nothing wrong with it."
Well, he rode it around for a bit and finally agreed, yes there was something wrong. Well, we took it easy and took the shortest route home. The sled made it home, thankfully and when we got it inside the garage and took the chaincase cover off, the top sprocket literally came apart in about 5 pieces.
Thankfully, because my family owned nothing but Polaris for the past 30 years we have a lot of common parts lying around. We threw a new set of bearings in that sled and it was good as new.
By the way, that sled had exactly 4,000 miles on it when that bearing went. Also, the Polaris owner's manual said to change the bearings at 4,000 miles. I guess they werent kidding, eh? :o|
Hebi

Yeah, I just paid a little over $40 for the speedo bearing from Yamaha last week. That is the most expensive bearing on the sled, but worth it. I found all my idler bearings on ebay for around $35, and the other 4 driveline/chaincase bearings cost me $80 I think. This was on a 96' though, not sure if the newer ones are different at all.

Back