92 Exciter II carb sync

stubby

Hello all, and thanks in advance for reading this. Looking forward to another great season and I hope we get tons of snow! My brother and I just finshed working on his two sled, 1994 Ovation and his Exciter II. All set to go and we have a question on carb syncing. He bought a carb sync tool that has a piece that goes in front of the carb and then a hose that attaches to a sight tube with a ball in it. No way is that gizmmo going in front of the carb as there is little, to no room to get it in there. We noticed a plugged fitting on the carb just before the fuel mixture goes into the cylinder. It is a vaccum, but it pull the ball instantly to the top of the sight tube. Way to much vaccum. Are we on the right track as far as using this tool? We tried pinching the tube off a bit in order to just get some reading and have had limited success. Didn't fiddle with anything, just trying to figure out if this is even the right way to go about it. The service manual mentioned some tool, but does not show how to use it. Thanks again... Dave and Brother Mike in Michigan.......THINK SNOW!!!

i thought that was the right place but maybe I am wrong....I take 2 std size drill bits and set the carb sink that way....but maybe thats old school. :)

looking in the bell of the carb, you can see the carb piston or slide moving , as the carb is closed there is a arch area of the slide that you can just sneak a drill bit into. Take a drill bit that is slightly bigger then the opening. Make sure you use the shank of the drill bit not the flute end, stick the shank side on one carb then you take a second drill bit of the same size and but it into the other carb and adjust the other carb to that bit..and the carbs will be extremely close. Does that make sense???

carb sync

Yes, but isn't there an adjustment that needs to be done with the air screw? I thought that syncing carbs was more than just the slide or butterfly being opened at the same time. Maybe I/we are way off base here...

true....very true....just putting my 2 cents in, there is more to setting the carbs then just adjusting the slides...I have just went with that methed and set the fuel screws by spec, sound and throttle feel.....Just my 2 cents...the sink gauge is the most accurate.

thank you

Well I think we have the adjustments in the ball park, but there is still some fine tuning to do, and I think that the guage you mention is the ticket. Now, where do we get the right tool for the job? I have very little faith in my local dealer, they are little to no help unless I want them to do the work. The won't even let me talk to anyone "in the back".

Some dealers just are not that open on giving out pointer and informations. Give Larry a call at North Country Yamaha 715-453-2626 and I think he can get you in the right direction either with lining you up with a new sync guage or explaining how you can use the thing you have. Sorry I coudnt have been more help.

Thank you!

I will give him a call, and you have been a ton of help. Sure appreciate your responses. Maybe you can answer one more for me? On my 94 Vmax 600 I get 6 MPG. My plugs are always wet and I was thinking of going down one size on my main jets. Is that too conservative? And when changing jets, do I put the clips on my needles right in the middle? Thanks in advance.

Dave
:yam:

there has to be another reason that sled is running that fat...some of that back in 94 the clutching was not very good....and mabe even see if the carbs are out of sinc..my 95 would get 10 to 12 mpg.

92 exciter ll carb size..?

Any one know what size the roundslides on a 92 exciter ll are? and will it like 40's with a single or twin pipes? thank you........

Stubby,

to sync the carbs on that you need a vaccume gage that has...... I think antifreez or murcury in it. You attach the lines from the gage to the two brass nipples that are covered by a black rubber plug on the intake between the carb and the motor. There is a screw in the center of the two carbs that you can turn which ever way to bring the readings of the gage togeather. Do not rev the motor too much or you will suck in the anifreez or murcury. This carb syncing is done pretty much at idel and just slight revs and re-check at idel. Of course clean the carbs and set the fuel screws prior to this, the fuel screw setting should be on the belt guard.

Tod

PS if you want to call me I can try to be more clear. Or like Mr Sled said call north country and I'm sure they or any other decent dealer could tell you how to do it as it used to be part of set up with a new sled, or at least the dealer that I worked at we always did it during set up.
1-800-798-0867 x318

Back