My First Yamaha! 03 sxViper Mountain

Automed

03 sxViper Mountain Alterations for trail/powder

Ok! you all got me convinced Yamaha is the best. So I put my money where it counts and bought a 2003 sxViper Mountain with 450km on it! (still has warranty till Jan 05)

This is a bare bone unit, no extras. I ride mostly on flat land but the conditions have been such the last few years that a short track just couldn’t cut it. So I went a bit aggressive 144" x 2" but I really had very little choice since 136" x 1.5" is hard to find. I'm concerned with how this machine will handle on the trails. I'm not worried about the mountain or breaking fresh trails powder or not it will be awesome.

So that said what could I do to make this sled shine for all its worth, while not compromising reliability and ride quality.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

:WayCool:

Attachments

• DSC00362a.JPG
    DSC00362a.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Good sled's! Should be fine on the trails, if you do a lot of trail riding widening out the ski stance to 42" (same as the short tracks) will help in the corners. If hyfax wear becomes a problem from hard pack trails, a set of ice scratchers work well.

There's lots of good mods for this sled posted on this forum, the consensus seems to be tripple pipes to wake this unit up. If your mostly trail you might want to consider a less aggressive track, ...perhaps a 1.25 ripsaw.

I though of the wider ski stance. Is it just the connecting arms and steering linkage that's longer? I also noticed that the short track has a sway bar wonder how much this would improve the trail handling...

I've been looking at the 1.25 ripsaw track and it looks great but now the question is how will it affect powder performance?

Thats one sweet Viper!
I think the first thing I would do to that sled is a set of triple pipes.
I think the reason why the Viper Mountain doesnt have the sway bar is for sidehilling. If it had the sway bar it would made it much harder to balance the sled on one ski for sidehilling.
As far as trail riding, you will notice that it wont corner as sharply as a 121" sled but I think it will handle the stutter bumps a lot better.
All in all it looks like a great sled...
Hebi

I went to the snowmobile show in Edmonton today and got the itch real bad!

Found out that to improve the cornering on trail for my sxViper Mountain all I have to do is install the mountain max anti sway bar and when I go to the mountain I just need to disconnect one side and ride...

Anybody ever done this?

I was also told by the Yamaha dealer that a hyfax anti wear wheel kit would be a worth while investment if I ride in low snow conditions...

I also got the part number for the sxViper windshield bag but it's expensive and I would of liked to see one first or maybe if any of you have one what do you think of it?

Automed thats a sweet Viper, Hope it treats you well. If I was you I would do most of the things said already but also step down to a 1.5" track. I think that would be a better combo for mostly trail riding but still have the abilty to haul through 4 ft of powder.

Last edited:
What type of track camoplast "ripsaw" or "predator" ?

I'm asking because I bought a 03 sxViper mountain because it would be easier/cheaper to change it down to trail/powder than change up a short track to trail/powder setup.

So I want to trade in my 144" x 2" for a "ripsaw" or "predator" 144" x 1.25 But I need advise as to which one is best. We sometimes have marginal snow up here in the Canadian prairies and some times we get lots of powder. I'm not a mountain rider (too far to go to mountains) but my short track has not been able to cut it in the last couple of years.

from what is being said on ty go with the predator if you want to keep powder performance. the ripsaw does ok but they are sayin that it is the better trail track. why not cut yur 2" down to 1.5. it would be cheaper. :WayCool:

I would either use your 2" track on trails (you will love it if you ride aggressive), or cut it down to your desired height. IMO it would not be worth buying a new track for this sled.

Just my 2cents.

What about trail cornering ? My last sled had a 121" track & 48" wide stance and heavy sway bar.

I have been told that the mountain sxViper would feel very tippy on the trail when cornering...and the track would make it even harder to turn...

Back