96 vmax 500 ?'s

joejoeguns

first alittle history on the sled.it's a 96 vmax 500xt that i picked up towards the end of the season last year for 400 bucks,but it needed work.
the guy i bought it from had a teenage son who thought it would be fun to take the sled for an extensive cruize down the pavement,so much that he wore holes though the skis and trashed the mounting feet not to mention the track was shot.hence the good price.
i spent 300 bucks to fix the front end and rode it for the last month of the season with no engine trouble at all,luckly the motor wasn't fried also.when i was riding last year the sled would seem to over rev at 9000-9500 at WOT.but the track being completely smooth would spin at all speeds so i figured the over revving and the track were directly related.sound reasonable?
this summer i fixed the track with a new comaplast preaditer with new slides and wheels.so now total into the sled is 1200, fair i felt.
now my question,does anybody think my rpms will drop after the new track or is this a problem with the 500's? and if over revving is a problem on the vmax is there any one thing i can do get it to run it the right range?
i've looked at the tech pages and cluthching is all greek to me.i'm a good wrench just never messed with clutches.
sorry for the long post but i'm getting stoked to ride.

yes, spinning will cause overrev and once it grabs it will bring it down....keep an eye on the RPMS and keep us posted once you can try it out with the new track.

Welcome aboard Joe,

First you want to check your rpm (7,650). with the new track to get a baseline. Clean both primary and secondary sheaves (scotch brite pad), ...verify drive belt condition and adjustment (should be around 2mm below secondary sheave),...check weights, if you need to bring rpm's down add more weight, ...at your elevation I would go 4.5 grams inner (17.2 steel rivet) and nothing in the outer, ...and your stock primary spring YPY, you may want to replace this, ...set your belt squeeze to 70 degree (1-6).

If you want to stretch your arms abit you may want to consider the following;
- WSW (short spring)
- 2.4 grams inner
- 45/41 helix
- 60-70 degree squeeze
- 20 tooth top gear
- remove top spacer in tranfer rods
- stiffen center shock, loosen rear shock, stiffen front shocks

;)!

thanks for the wecome and replys.where would i find the clutch parts online?i've been looking and can't find any suppliers that list clutch parts for online sale.i know i could go to the dealer but i don't like asking for things i know nothing about.i know when to concede and when it comes to sleds you guys know your stuff.

9000-9500 seems VERY high for a twin.
I dont have a lot of experience with Yamaha twins (my Phazer only turned 7,000 rpm) but for almost any other brand they dont like you to push the revs over 8300.
Does Yamaha typically build engines that like high revs? I know the 600/700 triples were pretty rev-happy (9,000 wasnt even considered high for a Yammie triple).
I have a feeling that something in the clutch of that sled isnt quite right.
Hebi

there were so many things wrong with it when i got it and the snow was melting fast so i didn't get to fix much last year.the sliders were gone and all the rubber on the idlers was eaten off.now i have to wait for snow to test my improvements.the sled was beat to crap but the motor is still like new and now everything else on the under-side is.i only put about 200 miles on it in it's sad state.i can't really remember the exact r's but i do remember 9000 at at least a couple of times.it didn't seem to stressful on the motor just unessary and raised my brow.i'd like to get right from the start and show her some respect.

Yea i definately wouldn't suggest carrying rev's that high for very long, FAR off the powerband and u may have to be ready to catch your pistons

Back