Vmax 700 Clutch Squeel

ACE

I Have A 02 Vmax 700 That Has A Squuel Noise From The Primary At Idle Any Thoughts Or Ideas What Is Causing This.

The Belt Rides Flush With The Secondary Sheave. Also I Cant Get The Clutch Off (primary). I Have Literly Bent The Puller. Last Night I Put It On Its Side And Put Some Penitrating Fluid In. This Morning It Still Wouldnt Come Off. Any Advice.

put the end of a grease gun in the primary and pump full of grease. it will take a little pushing, but start the puller in the threads. once you get the puller started titen it like normal. before the puller even bottoms out on your crank, the hydrolic pressure from the grease will pop your clutch right off. since i learned this i use it on my sled every time i pull the primary. its a little messy but well worth it

Sounds like belt drag to me, ...idling without a belt would confirm this.
RE:removing primary
Give the puller a few light taps first(easy).

Last edited:
before you do the grease...you may want to just run it up as tight as it will go and hit the bolt with a steel hammer...but if you have been pounding on the clutch with a impact...go with the grease.

I had this same problem last year on a 2000 700vmax and Turk told me to pull the secondary and add a shim at the three locations on the back side of the secondary. Shims are about fifty cents each from Yamaha. Problem was instantly cured.

I had the same thing happen on my Vmax SX 600. My problem was alignment but I only had to loosen the motor mounts and the engine snapped back into place... fixed it pretty good.

adding shims will make it worse, you need to remove shims in order to loosen the belt (it will ride lower in the secondary)

Back