Yamaha Phazer Conversion

Phillip Schichtel

I have a 1991 Yamaha Phazer II. I am looking into converting it to a mountian sled. I was wondering how big of a lug I could put on it, with out hitting the tunnel or putting rail extensions on it? What would the best route be. thanks
PHIL

I have seen ppl run 1.5in lugs on phazers but im not sure about a 2 in.

Me and my brother are running 121 by 1.5in tracks and love it :) does not bad in the powder and still good for jumping.

Even the origional 91 Phazer long track had rail extensions. I put an 1 1/8 track on my long track with plenty of extra room, much more than 1 1/4 would be getting a little tight. I would say with a 1 1/2 you would need to go to 7 tooth drivers for clearance up front.

You really should gear down from 17 / 33 to maybe 16/35 unless you change the drivers. It is gonna be slow.

Good luck

1.25 will fit in there, but it's a workout getting the stock 8 tooth drivers back in. I think I ran 17/33 gears in mine and it was dang near unstoppable here in the flatlands. Now I wasn't going to beat very many people across the lake, but in the twisties or when the snow got deeper I miss it.

Pipe it, port it, throw a set of flatslides of a vmax on it, it will make about 80 horse. Yep I wish I still had it in the garage.

You might not even need to gear it down. My '90 Phazer II was pretty torquey, especially when the reeds opened up at 5,000 rpm.
In fact, my father, who is very anti-Yamaha drove it around the driveway once and he commented how torquey it was. I think its pretty good when someone who rides an '02 600 XC making 116 hp comments how a fan-cooled 485 making 62 hp is "torquey".
I hear you guys too about sometimes missing your Phazers. I sold mine not even 2 months ago and I miss it already. People can say what they want about fan-cooled sleds but I had a lot of fun on my Phazer.
Hebi

I'm on my fourth one now, two long tracks and two short tracks. It is really hard to beat a Phazer, but the Viper sure rides nice.

I even bought some parts from Ryan for the latest long track. Thanks Ryan.

I am getting ready to convert my PZII to a 136 1.5" with a 99' MM skid. any thoughts? It is going to cost about 300 bones and a few hours so I will post picts as I go Through it.

I am currently doing the samething to my phazer II. From what I have gatherd, (running a 136" x 1.5" ) you may want to gear it down. In addition to gearing it down, I hear that you want to run a 7 tooth driver instead of the stock 8 tooth. Then you have to get the tunnel extension and fart around getting the 1.5" lug to fit. I figured the best route out is to go with the stock 121" track and 1.25" lugs. It was alot more cost effective. However, if i wasn't a broke college kid, i probably would have gone through with the long track.
PHIL

I was going to do a 136" on my SX-R but now I'm going to toss a 1.25x136 on the old Phazer 2 with 7 tooth drivers and use that for playing in the deep stuff, Its SO much lighter and easier to manuver at slow speeds.

yeah, It costs a lot more for the extra 15" on track lenth. Does anyone know if I put a 7 tooth driver on, will that give me more top end or will it be low end torque? My logic is that with the 7 tooth, it will spin faster giving you more low end torque. is this true? What about gearing? if I go with lower gear that will give more top end right?
thanks

7 tooth drivers gear you down, so you go slower, put pull harder. Same with gear ratio's. Lower(higher number)= slower; Higher ratio's(smaller number)= faster. If you leave the track length the same, and add lug height while going to 7's, you can probably gear up a bit to get some speed back. Going from 8's to 7's is about the same as dropping two teeth on the top gear.

A 1.25 will fit with the stock 8's. That about all you'll ever need for lug height on a phazer unless you ride in super deep snow.

I kind of think the stock 17/33 gearing with 7 tooth drivers is plenty low. If you stick with 8 tooth I think I would just try it out and see how it does. !.25 is definately plenty of track on a short track if you went 1.5 on a 136" and went to 7 tooth drivers you could get through the snow but you could take a nap getting there.

We put a 136 * 1 3/4 off a Polaris on my kids 91 Phazer with 7 tooth drivers. It fits but it is tight.The thing really goes quite well. I think if anything I will do a drop and roll and go back to the 8 tooth drivers I find the 7's almost too low geared piped it has plenty of power to turn that track.

Hello !

My cousin is building a longtrack version from the year 2000 Phazer mountainLite. He is putting a 159 inch track with 2 inch lugs to it :WayCool: . It has been geared down and he is now installing smaller 7 tooth drivers to it. I´ll have to visit him and take some pics of it. Should be a real deep snow special. ;)!

Back