How to "wake up" vmax 600???

Ike

Hey

So I`bought a 96 vmax xt, its in perfect condition (only one scraths at hood).and i going to build "home garages mountainmax". Among other mods. I"ve planned to do little mods to engine too,what I can do to "wake up" vmax 600 engine ......... so what can/should I do??

ike ;)!

thin the head gasket. notch the reed spacers. drill the can, (i think you can drill the can on a 600?)

Dual pipes, ...thinner head gasket (Bender or from a 95'), ...8AB weights work well on this machine, ...4.5grams in both holes, with a GPG or PPP primary short spring with 2-3 shims (4k engagement and rpm. should be 7.9-8.1K, remove weight from tip if required), ...a good 89L belt,...stock secondary @70deg. with a 47/41 helix (I'm using a 45/41 works well), ...run a 1" - 1.1" track (I'm running a 1.5 but had to lower the skid and use 8T drivers) and take top gear down one tooth, remove top spacer from transfer rod, limiters out, stiffen center, soften rear and stiffen front shocks. I dropped my mains down 1 size from spec. (@elevation), and it ran much better.

The only practical changes to "wake up" this sled is a good clutch setup, good traction, and pull as much weight from this machine as you can (plastic skis?).

Is it big difference of stock hp in 95 and 96, because 95 has thinner headgasket?

ike

Actually the 96' has 4-5hp. more than the 95' out of the box. If you want to spend the extra you can also trail port this machine with good results, ...and add K&N's.

continue.....

I have plastic skis from 00 model phazer and i planned to redo the seat to save some weight. Do you have any other ideas to reduce weight.? Anyway the vmax 600 weights much more than my old sleds, vmx 540 -84 is under 230 kg with full tanks. The other oldie srv 540 also -84 is under 200 kgs no fuel in tank.

ike

I'm in the process of building a 96' V-max 600 right now. Twin pipes are supposed to bring the hp up around 110. The stock track is heavy and not very aggressive. Go to EPI and get some lighter gears. Bender racing has alot of stuff for these, but you have to order their catalog, cause the stuff isn't on their website. I believe trail porting is only $450 in the U.S., but I'm not sure over there. Boyesen reeds might also be a good idea. One thing you will notice is the handwarmers work great on this sled! The 96' has the best handwarmers of any sled I've owned, get very hot.

its nice hear that someone else is doing mods to samekind sled, is it xt, st or what? What mods you are going to do? Here are some of my ideas: Phazer mountain lites track, twin pipes, plastis skis, lighter seat,longer rearend. i all ready raisened handle bars about 5 cm (2 inches).

ike

I pm'd you with the jetting specs on the gyt twin pipes. The 600 I have is actually one I got for my girfriend and isn't the xt, it is an Le with electric start is all. It actually started life as a 500. I put 600 cylinders and heads on it (cases are the same), boyesen reeds, gyt pipes, 1.17 predator track, complete repaint, changed a total of 18 bearings (idler wheels and driveline), and rejetted (still have to tackle the clutching). I still want to get simmons flex skis and other odds and ends. I really think you should call bender racing, as they have a lot of things for it, but they are not on their website.

about clutching... when i bought vmax from my local dealer he told that engine revs too high and he promised that his mechanic will retune clutch. The mechanic has raced yamahas eternity. Example watercross, oval races (srv with srx 700 engine on???!!!),drag racing. so i think he can get clutch right. I mail set up you when clutch is ok.

ike

Hey again- I have gytr pipes to sled, now i am just waiting for snow to fall. Before i install pipes, jets, lower headgasket and retune clucht, i`ll measure by GPS how fast my vmax is on stock.

After measurements i start to do mods. I`ll keep u informed how i succeed and of course new measurements will follow. I`ll write results here totallyamaha Vmax forum.

ike

carbs

what size carbs are on the 95's and 96's ,Just thought you guys would know.
i'm looking for 97 carbs but heard the 96's might be the same.

what about 97 600 MM

srx_eh said:
Dual pipes, ...thinner head gasket (Bender or from a 95'), ...8AB weights work well on this machine, ...4.5grams in both holes, with a GPG or PPP primary short spring with 2-3 shims (4k engagement and rpm. should be 7.9-8.1K, remove weight from tip if required), ...a good 89L belt,...stock secondary @70deg. with a 47/41 helix (I'm using a 45/41 works well), ...run a 1" - 1.1" track (I'm running a 1.5 but had to lower the skid and use 8T drivers) and take top gear down one tooth, remove top spacer from transfer rod, limiters out, stiffen center, soften rear and stiffen front shocks. I dropped my mains down 1 size from spec. (@elevation), and it ran much better.

The only practical changes to "wake up" this sled is a good clutch setup, good traction, and pull as much weight from this machine as you can (plastic skis?).

Do you recommend the same clutching for a 97 600 MM with a 1.5" x 136? I have a thinner head gasket, otherwise, its stock.... actually I really like the sled, but what the hay, i'll tune it a bit more.

Back