Here's a 3.25" riser with stock cables

Mountain SXr

I can't remember the thread, but there's always talk about the max riser height you can have with stock cables. Well I've put a powermadd pivot adapter and a 2" riser for a reported total of 3.25" and I still have stock cables and bars. I had to reroute a few, but that only took seconds. Most importantly, I put my throttle cable through the air box. There's a "slit"/indent on the airbox that I ran my cable along, and I was able to put the filter back on with no problems. The steering seems fine ( Not tight or pulling) but I wouldn't go any higher than this.

Here are some pics!

Hope this helps,

Jon

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• riser1.jpg
    riser1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 72
  • riser side.jpg
    riser side.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 41
  • throttle cable 2.jpg
    throttle cable 2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

Thats awesome information...if you could post some pics of the routing change too, I will add your info to the Tech Area on the main site for others to use in the future.

Pics'

Mr Sled,

I have pics that I believe are too big to upload, but I don't have a program to shrink them down. All I have is Microsoft paint. Is there somthing I can do to decrease their size or can I email them to you?

-Jon

Just email them to me and I will shrink them and send them back....and if you dont mind I will add them as a small info html for other users :)

additional note

Just an additional note. I have the bars and riser pivoted forward for better powder handling. You can see in the pics that there may actually be less distance for the cables to travel than if I didn't have the pivot adapter and the bars were 3" back on the angle of the steering column. You probably would be ok with the 3" rise without the pivot, but try it out before you buy the riser.

Undo your bars from the steering colum, take a three inch piece of wood and place it under your bars and test out if you actually have enough cable clearence.

IMO if you put more than 3" with cable extensions and ride any trails whatsoever you'll be uncomfortable. You'll be riding a machine with chopper bars. Your hands will be to high. However, you'd be set for powder.

-Jon

I just did the same Mod this weekend, only went a little bigger. i routed my cables the same way. I did the pivot riser also but with a 4 inch block. all the cables are long enough but the brake hose is a little short for this. Pivot plus 3 inch would work great. i am going to try and find a fitting to give the hose some more length. Nice pics. I also rerouted the e brake cable a little to give it more length.
I staightened the tube on the throttle to so that it could go threw the air box.It almost gives more lengh to the cable than needed. I will add some pics next time i get to the sled.

Pivot

Be careful, you need a special riser for the pivot. The stock Yamaha risers don't work. You need either the Powermadd Pivot riser or just an artic cat riser for cats with the pivot style bars.

All the powermadd yamaha pivot riser is, is an artic cat riser!

-Jon

the normal riser is different than the pivot riser.
You have to get the pivot base and the pivot riser.

I have also found out that the 97 and 98 brake hose were three to four inches longer than the ones after that , so swaping out to one of those hoses lets you go higher. luckey me i just happen to be parting out a 98 sx. so thats going on my sled.

www.gobigparts.com has the pivot blocks and risers at a decent price.

Back