Getting confused

Styles211

I want to long travle my 99 SRX but seem to be getting different ways that I should do It by every person I talke to. Some say buy Viper shocks and some say they wont fit. Some say send my shocks out and have them rebuilt, Some say the shocks are not designed to be long traveled.

I am totally cofused, What is the best and most cost effective way to do this ?

Lost in Ontario. :o| :o| ;):D

Viper or SXR shocks will fit just fine, all you need is different limiter straps and different nylon control rod bushings. This method is also cost effective if you find a good deal on viper or sxr shocks. hope this helps

viper shocks will work on the rear suspension only not the front. if you have ohlins fronts you can buy the shock shaft extensions from advantage edge. if you do not have ohlins fronts you'll need to send your shocks to pioneer or maxximum performance for the longtraveling kit. goto either one of those websites (they are in the cool links pages i believe) it gives you the skinny. to get the most out of the rears you need to get different transfer rods or make 7.5mm extensions for your stock rods. rounding corners on nuts and adding them to the lower end off the shafts, will give you the extensions you need for the transfer rods. you may need new limiter straps but i found i needed my straps shorter to get enough ski pressure for crisp turning. your straps are shorter than the longtravels so they may work. doesnt cost anything to try it that way. the guys with vipers that opted for the shock upgrade bought 4 shocks and springs installed at the dealer for 189.00usd you should be able to pick up a set of rears for 50.00usd ea. then they should be recharged and revalve for you and your sled. but again, it doesnt cost anything to try it out. good luck. ski

Guys thanks for clearing this up for me.

Nobody said weather I should get my shocks done, or if that is a good idea.
Also were all the Vipers shocks long travle,or do I need to look for certain kind.

ekimsx600, I live in Woodstock just down the road from you.

Styles

I actually got them out of the states, but I think that Palmerston motors may have a set or two laying around. Try any of the local yamaha dealers and ask if they have any shocks left over from the viper update.

I'm in the middle of the viper swap on my 2000 srx

I cant get the rear 2 bolts in !!!!

tansfer rods are currentlyunbolted
limiter straps were lengthened from stock for viper shock. just enougth to stop spring travel before the shock does bottoms out( should save impact on shock inners right?)

shoudl I loosed the track tensioner in the rear?

any help, any tricks?

Ramb

Back