Watch out in Kalkaska, MI! $110 TICKETS

NO EARLY SEASON WARNINGS HERE!!

I was fortunate enough to sneak away for an early season trip to Kalkaska Friday December 5th. The trip was planned on very short notice and I had not realized my registration expired at the end of September until the night before. I made sure to purchase a trail permit on the way up but as we all know, the Secretary of State has crappy hours so renewing my registration was out of the question on this short of notice.

Well to make a long story short, a DNR officer nailed me up near Alba. I plead my case and explained that I always registered my sleds however, this time I didn't have a chance to before getting on the trail. He did his job and made sure they collected the $110 they needed to justify his existence. NO WARNINGS HERE!

I could understand if it wasn't this early in the season or my sled wasn't registered for the last year or so, but all this ticket did is ensure that I will not be going north as often as originally planned. And I definitely will go and support a local economy ELSEWHERE. To bad for the local businesses as this sort of law interpretation will not help an already struggling economy.

As I said, the mistake was mine as it should have been re-registered before hitting the trail...just wanted to warn you guys that may head toward Kalkaska, MI.

ALLSEASONRIDER said:

I was fortunate enough to sneak away for an early season trip to Kalkaska Friday December 5th. The trip was planned on very short notice and I had not realized my registration expired at the end of September until the night before. I made sure to purchase a trail permit on the way up but as we all know, the Secretary of State has crappy hours so renewing my registration was out of the question on this short of notice.

Well to make a long story short, a DNR officer nailed me up near Alba. I plead my case and explained that I always registered my sleds however, this time I didn't have a chance to before getting on the trail. He did his job and made sure they collected the $110 they needed to justify his existence. NO WARNINGS HERE!

I could understand if it wasn't this early in the season or my sled wasn't registered for the last year or so, but all this ticket did is ensure that I will not be going north as often as originally planned. And I definitely will go and support a local economy ELSEWHERE. To bad for the local businesses as this sort of law interpretation will not help an already struggling economy.

As I said, the mistake was mine as it should have been re-registered before hitting the trail...just wanted to warn you guys that may head toward Kalkaska, MI.
I think you could have registered your sled here and printed out a receipt to ride legally:

http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/welcome.asp

ALLSEASONRIDER said:

And I definitely will go and support a local economy ELSEWHERE. To bad for the local businesses as this sort of law interpretation will not help an already struggling economy.

Why punish the local business's for you not have a legally registired sled?? You admit the mistake was yours and there was no mis interpretation of the law. Your sled's reg was expired, period.

I can tell you WHY about punishing the local businesses in the area,, it's all about POLITICS!!! TRUELY the guy deserved a ticket AND should have NEVER,,,under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES,,, operated a sled WITHOUT a valid registration,,, BUT,,, the local businesses could TURN UP THE HEAT on the DNR if the DNR is doing some CROOKED CRAP (i.e. entrapment) and start complaining to the ELECTED OFFICIALS about CROOKED COPS... IN THIS INSTANCE,, I feel that the cops were just "doing their jobs" and the local businesses should not suffer because of a LAPSE IN JUDGEMENT of some IRRESPONSIBLE SNOWMOBILER and the snowmobiler should WAKE UP and TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for his BLUNDER,,, Remember,,we all do STUPID shIt sometimes...... Sometimes we get caught,,,sometimes we MARRY THEM also!!!! see my point!!!

I went up to Indian River that same weekend. I checked my registration and it was good for the 09 and bought a trail permit at the local party store. Law is the law and we make mistakes. I was happy to come up early and sled and help the local area, those people in Indian River are great. Support your local sled area and go back to Alba and lesson learned. Forget about it, this is going to be a great season.

Last edited:
Yea you guys are pretty much right...I was wrong to go out without having the registration taken care of and my post did come across more as whining than was meant. I was originally trying to let guys know that for those of you that haven't taken care of the registration, don't chance it or it's $110. For those of you that always take care of your registration, rock on life is good.

Nothing more was meant, sorry for the post, but it's given us some interesting reading today and if it saves 1 sledding friend some cash, all is good.

I guess the police didn't get it when they were told that they were PUBLIC SERVANTS and were put in place to SERVE AND PROTECT... MOST badges go to their HEADS!!!! There are VERY FEW officers who ABIDE BY THE LAWS and respect people in general... There ARE SOME,,,but,,,very few (especially in todays society).. the officer was doing his job (if it was his job to watch sled registrations),, Yes,,, they have the discretion of giving you a warning citation if that is warranted,,,but,,,some are pressured by BIGTIME WHACKO supervisors that pride their ability on being a JACkAsS to people and BREAKING as MANY LAWS in the process as they possibly can to PROVE that they are riteous in doing what they do... MOST OFFICERS are HEAD CASES!!!! Lets just hope,,,the NEXT TIME we get pulled over,, that HE or SHE isn't having a BAD DAY!!!!!

xsivhp said:
Just curious - so in MI you need to register your sled and pay for a trail permit?
Yes, we have a registration (good for 3 years and comes with your "owner's card" and registration sticker with the number on each side) and then a yearly trail permit.

The DNR is always sitting at the end of the trail just before entering Kalkaska.
A few years back my wifes stickers came off her sled because of the cold. She kept them and the registration documents in a baggie in her tank bag. After lunch in Kalkaska, just as we got to the trail, 3 DNR guys (probably in their late 20's) were sitting there and they pulled us over. Now my wife is a looker (if I say so myself) and after she showed them the stickers, they were falling over themselfs to help her out. One was askin where she wanted the stickers and cleaning off the sled, another was warming them up in his coat. They ended up getting the things to stay on the sled. I was just standing there chuckling. After they were all through I laughed and said "I always heard DNR were a bunch of pricks but they all are nice guys" They laughed and we joked around. I told them they had a pretty sweet deal, getting to ride the trails on the States dime and how could I get a gig like that. They told me I was too old but the Mrs would qualify. I told them I now understood why people thought they were pricks. Honestly we all stood around for 20 minutes bullsh*ting and laughing.
Fact is it's the law to have registration up to date, you have to pay to play. If you don't it's these fellas job to give you a ticket. Can't knock a man for doing his job.

I only saw 2 Antrim County Sheriff officers about 6 or 7 miles SE of Alba just inside the county line on trail 4/76 on Saturday.

I just re-registered my sled on Wednesday. That $22 is much better than a ticket.

What do you know...this is the 4th or 5th site I've seen you post this about....they ALL SAY THE SAME THING.....

It's your fault...grow up...quick crying....and register your sled. :rulez:

I got pulled over last year on the TY ride. We were heading for lunch in Grand Marias MI. I had NO trail permit and NO registration sticker. I had just gotten into town from down south.

Technically, the sled was registered but was registered in the previous owners name. I still had the wisconsin registration card in my wallet from the previous owner. I figured I could get a season out of it since it was still good in wisconsin for another year but was not in my name yet. I bought the sled a year before I even got a chance to ride it or even see it. He asked me how long I owned the sled and told him I was just burrowing it from a friend as I had told the previous owner my intentions to skip out on paying for registration since it was still good. Somebody on the trail side asked me " out loud" how long ago I had bought the sled. My eyes rolled.. LOL anyways, He asked me where I had come from and I told him well,, I came from Mississippi LOL we started chuckling and conversating and he told me I need to get the sled registered in my name ASAP and get a trail permit at the next stop. He really could have stuck it to me good. All depends on the person and your attitude. But most officers will write you a hot one these days so i got very lucky.

Back