98 Vmax xt

Styles211

A friend is looking at a 98 Vmax xt with 3500 mi on it, was this a good sled or is there things we need to know?
I have been told that the twin engins on them had there problems.

Just looking for some input.

Cheers!!

Styles :yam:

In '98 yamaha changed piston style to get rid of the problem they had in 97. I have a 98 MM600 (original owner) and it has run excellent since day one. Power train wise, these sleds are the same. Over the years I have done a few minor tweaks and it still performs flawless.
I wouldn't let the "engine" scare you away if this is the type of machine you want.

i have a 98 xt 500, that i bought new. very reliable sled, and comfortable to trail ride. never had a problem with the engine at all, just turned over 7,000 miles this last winter. went through the sled this summer, changing out bearing's and just some minor maintenance, hope to keep the sled around for my daughter to ride now.

My wife rides a 98 500XT that we bought brand new in 2000. This machine has performed flawlessly with no problems at all. It is a very comfortable sled with good power. I have tried to talk my into getting a newer sled, but she loves this machine. The only change I made was putting some newer plastic skis off of a sxr on it instead of the steel skis.

98 Xt

I have a 98 XT 700 that I am very happy with. It performs well in power and handling. It has been a very dependable sled in warm or severe cold.

Back