Pilot air screw frozen

jvizzacc

Hello all,

I just pulled the carbs on my 01 srx700 for a routine cleaning. One of the pilot air screws is frozen in place. I tried to get it out but no luck. Now the flathead screw is hosed up so you can't get a grip on it with a screwdriver. Besides drilling it out and risking damage to the entire carb, does anyone have any suggestions?

:o|

Thanks,

Jim

Mine did the same thing last year and i ended up buying a used set of carbs , If you dont figure anything out i can send ya one carb and you can but it on your rack ... good luck but i could think of anything without messing up the carb ....

I don't know how small your screw is but sometimes you can drill a small pilot hole and use what's called an easy out either the spiral ones or the square ones (I like the square ones better) you hammer in the easy out into the pilot hole you drilled and then use a wrench and GENTLY try to back out the stripped screw. It's tricky work, but they do work well on a lot of stripped screws.

I have easy outs. I was very careful when I tried to back it out originally. I was able to apply probably close to 40-50 lb-ft of torque using a screwdriver before the head let go. I doubt if an easy out will get that.

Ummm ... it's tough to use an impact on a slotted screw. And the head's already gone, so ... I guess I'm SOL.

How much for the carb? What's involved in re-syncing it?

Thanks,

Jim

re-sink it should be easy , just get the carb on and use a drill bit to get the same gap in all of them and adjust from there ...how about 25 bucks and if your going to the novi show i can bring it with me .....

Sounds like a good deal. Although I'm new to this, it seemed that the carbs are all different. I need the one on the driver's side. Is this #1?

BTW ... does the pilot screw work on that one? :)

Thanks,

Jim

Ummm the one on the drivers side? Of the sled? <just messin with ya> You can get that jet out with a small EZ-out. Spray it with penetrating oil over night and if you have to drill the jet just a touch bigger. Not so big that you hit the threads and it will back out. Look in the tech section on re-syncing your carbs. I did a bunch of photos that should help you out. Also BE CAREFULL removing your carbs from the rack as you will see in the photos you can snap off the adjustment phillips screw very easy. Doug

Back