99 SRX from I500 top 10 finisher to Trail Rocket

billbies

I have finally found the finish line to my 3 year project of my previous I500 race sled to trail rocket ship, I have been working on it a few hours here and there and my blood sweat and swears have finally come to fruitition.

A little background I used to race with J&M racing in pro oval enduro racing and we were a Yamaha factory sponsored team well when the RX1 came around my team owner was going to bring this sled fully ready to the salvage guy for $300 !!! I saw it loaded on the trailor and said hey wait a minute, and his reply was I will hand you the title the day I ride it around the yard, I said deal,

So after completely stripping down to tunnel and bulkhead and accumulating parts from many members here and ebay it is ready. Onward to specs and pics
Specs:
2001 SRX tunnel and bulkhead
Bender race ported case with trued,welded,balanced crank
Doug Flannery trail/race ported 700 cylinders
One off hand built Bender pipes from race motor
Polaris P85, My dads titanium jackshaft with Arctic Roller 2ndary
Northern Lights Trailing Arms,and spindles very rare!!!
Ripsaw track with 144 studs
Stock 03 RX1 suspension(to get it riding have edge 136 waiting on track)
Bender Cold Air kit
Custom Black with silver pearl hood
Polaris edge skis
Pictures In order of build:

2003 Soo I500 finished 9th
Picturefromwilliamscomputer006.jpg

The way I recieved it:
Picturefromwilliamscomputer080.jpg

Picturefromwilliamscomputer081.jpg

Starting to put back together:
Picturefromwilliamscomputer087.jpg

Picturefromwilliamscomputer098.jpg

Picturefromwilliamscomputer085.jpg

Last edited:

P1000670.jpg

P1000671.jpg

P1000666.jpg

P1000673.jpg

Dyno'd 162hp very trailable, and fast

Thanks for looking any questions or comments please feel free
Had handlebar pad off use to lift with hoist,

Bill

I believe it is but we did have a couple motors ready to go so I do not know which exactly I ended up with because to race it had to be a 600 motor but yami only made the 600 srx motor in 98 so we just used 700 bottoms and put the 600 stuff on top
But I would say 95% that it is a 99

Bill

reason i ask is because if it was 00-02.that had a different magneto & i believe you would need the dual headlight.i was thinking you would feed the single bulb too much juice & blow it.maybe not??? maybe you would be able to use a higher wattage bulb if that was the case..i was just thinking real fast & didnt put much thought into it. nice build

I cant really say how many hours exactly but I bet 50 hours easily because we had to seperat the tunnel to put back to stock bc for racing we tip the bulkhead for more travel and ski pressure

Thats way cool.From sitting in the corner to that.Hood turned out nice as well.

And that is about the nicest sled shop i have seen.

I am actually pretty embarrassed bc it is way dirty , bc myself finishing ine and in one of the pics you can see my dads custom longtrack in the back that fell of a trailor 2 months ago ehh!! and the 2 Polaris' are a friends we just prepped for him, but we built it as an addition to our 40x60 pole barn when we decided to go racing for real and it became the ultimate man cave 40x40 with oak trimmed walls with the sweet woodstove setup, it has an i beam across with electric hoist for anything from sleds to car motors etc of course the beer fridge, fully unlocked sat tv, couches etc, bc for about 4 winters in a row it was basically my home. thanks for the compliments

in the next couple of days I am going to get my sled and my dads next to each other and take some better pics and some of the garage cleaned up too

Bill

Hey, I seen you run that year. Was very impressed with your finish, and your ability to run with newer, lighter sleds.

Thanks It was a real impressive year for us, it was the first year for the RX1(#02) which we finished 3rd with after leading most of the race stupid 10 cent bolt and finished this sled 9th and we still didnt get team of the year errr!!! Yeah in that race we had some carb issues that after gas stops it would load up heavy for about 7-8 laps then clear right out, the last 50 laps of that race we actually had the fastest lap times on that sled
You never know it may return I still have all the parts sitting here to put it back to that exact state, hmmmmmmm
Bill
I cant wait 5 more weeks for this years soo

Nice job. ;)! You don't happen to have another of those sway bar set-ups do you?

Thanks for the good words

I dont think I do but I might actually have one??!?!?!Ill look or I could ask my dad if we still have the specs from when we built it, bc I know after practicing with it I said it needs more front sway bar and a couple days later he came into the shop and showed me he built what I asked for!!!

Bill

billbies said:
Thanks for the good words

I dont think I do but I might actually have one??!?!?!Ill look or I could ask my dad if we still have the specs from when we built it, bc I know after practicing with it I said it needs more front sway bar and a couple days later he came into the shop and showed me he built what I asked for!!!

Bill

That would be great. I'm installing a sno-tek wide front end that i got off e-bay (not a complete kit, off a banged up sled), and I would like to install one like I used to see at all the MIRA races on the IFS sleds. Troy Pierce used to have the nicest...lol.

Thats funny you say that thats what we used to run heavily and won many championships and the ironic part is Troy Pierce got his design from us, on our Polaris stuff in the lates 90's and compied it into his own way

Bill

that is one mean lookin sled...i drive an apex..but i'm keepin my srx just for that reason..i wanna do something like that with ..mines a mountain tho...they are harder to make look cool like that...harder to drive too...awesome in the powder tho

Back