Best avalanche beacons

snow guy

I can't believe I couldn't find a thread on beacons, anyway now's a good time to start. After seeing someone get dug out last year it's time to take it serious and get a beacon. From looking around there are several out there and wondered what folks experiences are and recomendations. It looks like the Orthovx M2 and Pieps have the latest technology replacing the Tracker as the once top of the line.

I have read a little bit about beacons on snowest, and basically they all work great (even old ones), the only difference is the newer and more technologically advanced models are easier to use. Make sure you keep good batteries in it and everybody you ride with uses one and you should be good to go.

I have a couple Tracker's. Main reason I went with the Tracker, is ease of use. (For me and my family) Sometimes I will bring someone along for a ride that has never used a beacon before. With the Tracker you can give them a crash course, and do some pratice runs with it and most people will pick up on it pretty quick. The most important thing is to practice, practice, practice.

I have a tracker and fellow riders also have the same. With practice it is easy to use although I have never used it and hope I never have to.

For me it is easier to keep operation simple and this thing is simple.

SOS Survival On Snow from St Albert Alberta, most dealers carry them. Digital, very easy to use.

Back