1997 vmax 500 xt

V-Maximum

On this machine I have installed carbon tech reeds, notched the reed stopper, have droped all jets 1 size, and installed a MSRP race scilencer. But the only problen is now my clutch is woren out. I was wondering would it be better to take it to my local dealer to get it rebuilt or purchase a new one from royal distributing? I also was wondering would the clutch set up for a 500 on this web page work for a 97 xt 500? :yam:

8cr w/.8g in the inner and 3.6g in the outer, g-s-g primary with 43/39 helix with a white sec spring at 0-2, 15.6 mm rollers.

Mr Sled,

Is the setup you posted a good stock trail set-up? My wife drives a XT500 and it could use a better setup.

Last edited:
You are fast!!

This sled also seems to run rich, is it common place to drop a jet size on these?

These sleds are also a total pig on oil. I adjusted the throttle cable free play and then leaned out the oil pump a bit. It was much better after this but still hard on oil.

I cut off the oil injection on mine and mix 50:1 and I found this to really wake up my machine. Thanks Mr Sled for the info.

Back