02 Viper

Yamaha_Dude

I have recently purchased my first sled, an 02 Yamaha Viper. The sled is mostly stock with the exception of the front ski's, updated shocks and a studded track. I rode the sled last year prior to purchase and I was blown away. I have always been a Yamaha deciple on two and four wheels.

Is there anything else that I should consider upgrading prior to the start of the season? Please keep in mind that this is my FIRST sled. Thanks!!!

That's a heck of a first sled, congrats!

Check th wearbars, tighten studs, make sure engine mounts are tight. Call North Country Yamaha (link in TY links) and have Larry run the VIN, he can tell you what updates have been done or need to be done.

Make sure you're not over revving, you want 8500rpm on the nose. Anything more, and you're losing power, and will need some tuning on the primary. Quite a few Vipers were over revving last year once they were broken in.

What kind of skis are on there?

vin number

vmax john,
can you give me more detail about how i could get the vin checked? I got a new sled also and want to know about it. I looked on the "cool links" part of the site and didn't find North county yamaha. let me know thanks

Skis

The skis are dual carbide skis. The skis are actually modified REV skis. The previous owner claims that the skis really improved the sled cornering. Prior to the addition of the skis the sled had a tendency to push and jump around.

I would make sher it handls ok and try a stock set of skis and see which one is beter if its ok cool just have a radicl time with it I havethe same sled but 03 and i can hold on and i am 15 yr

The best thing to do is wait til there is snow, try it out, and then you'll know what you want for it. Those double carbide skis will be very nice, they make a big difference, not only in cornering but they almost completely eliminate the front end from darting when getting caught in someone elses track. Get a pre-season check up on the sled from a reputable dealer and you should be all set. Like I said, drive it for awhile, check this site out, especially the tech page and you'll see the solutions to most of your problems, welcome to snowmobiling and hope you enjoy it, have fun

ps. it is very addicting, I hope your ready for a lifetime commitment, haha

Install the Yamaha torque link and have the clutches set to the SRX alignment specs. The link is a pain to install but you can feel the difference.

Back