How to modify SRX muffler?

2ooosrx

VIP Member
Website
www.cbperformanceparts.com
The first question I have for you is if the 98 srx muffler is the same as a 2000 srx muffler. The second question I have is what am I supposed to do when I cut the muffler into two. I have heard that I have to remove a baffle from the inside but I am not sure what the inside looks like yet because I havent cut it open yet. Also is that all I have to do is cut out the baffle in it and then weld it back together, please let me know, I am going to becutting it open very shortly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Give it a try, and let us know how it goes. If you have the tools and ability to cut it open and weld it back up, it wouldnt hurt anything to try it.

Was I right though, am I supposed to open it up, remove the baffle(where ever it is) then weld it back up? Also does anyone know if there is a difference in design between the 98SRX muffler and the 00SRX muffler. Please let me know asap. Also if other people are interested in doing this to their sled, I can take pictures and show the steps on how to do it and show the performance difference as well. But please let me know about my question if the two mufflers are different thanks

I thought the non power valve motors were the ones you could modify
is there any HP gain or lose doing this to a valved motor??
what about the viper???

That is what I am trying to figure out for this entire site. I am going to do many test with my devise that I stick on my pod called a G tec or something like that. It shows your HP all the way through the run and it shows you speed and distance for the amount of time that you are driving. This is why I am trying to figure out how to modify this stock muffler on the srx. The one thing that I am positive it will change is the sound! It should sound awsome when I am done but I want to make sure that there is not much of a power loss. Please if anyone has experience or know how to do this, please instruct me through it so I can let the site know if this is a good mod.

wouldn't bother most likely will lose power an just make alot of noise

It doesn't really matter to me because I have a 98 muffler up in wisconsin that is just laying around and we are going to bring that home and try it on that. So I might as well give a final answer to this question. anyone else know how this is done.

Well then cut it open and hog it out empty and weld the hollow mufler back together

You could start out by removing 1 baffle plate in order to retain some back pressure, then go from there. If you remove all of the baffles, you will most likely experience a lean condition, epecially in midrange rpm's. Let us know how it goes if you do end up doing it.

Fix power sports, in Byron, MN has an exhaust mod for the srx, he claims 7-8 hp gain, not sure where in the power band though. I doubt he would give you much info, but it is worth a shot. He has a link on the "cool links" page to get his number. He is very good, but very protective of his knowledge.

talk to yamajeff on this board, he has had the fix powersports muffler mod done to his sled. he has even had it on the dyno with the different mufflers. not sure if he is on this board, he was on the old tyforum when rich ran that part. fix also does a mod for the viper and claimed that i would get 5 hp from this. he also was working on a mod for the stock single pipe for a few more. i never persued it as the firecats came out and i just didnt feel it was gona make me competitive in that class.

BTV,

I had the engine mod, and exhaust mod done by fix to my viper, and it was a noticeable difference in mid-range, and a little louder, just not sure how much with dyno numbers. It did get up and go a little faster it seemed. The sound was also a little meaner, but not really noticable when with other sleds, but louder than stock. And you are right, it wouldn't have made you competetive with the F-cats.

Chad

Back