DCS On 02 Viper - Can it be Done?

koodat

Boy it would be nice if you could bolt it on. Really interested in the TPI Air Valves for the Air Box, but get all gummed up just thinking of how to jet it for all temp.'s without burning it down.

Getting tired of run-jet-run-jet, Ride-hope it don't blow-Ride-hope it don't blow.

I think it would be not cost effective, but thought I would ask.

I think the DCS is in the ignition module, correct? Im not sure if it would work, but perhaps you could just get an ignition module off of a Viper with DCS.
I know what you mean about how it would be nice to have it. My EDGE X has a similar system. When it sense detonation, it retards the timing in 1 degree incriments untill it stops. Im not sure if Yamaha has this, but my Polaris also has a couple of settings incase you arent able to get 93 octane or arent sure of the quality of fuel you are getting. You can turn the key the "PREM" if you are able to get 93 octane and are certain that the fuel is of good quality. With this setting, you all 115 hp. You can also set it to "REG" when you either can find 93 octane or arent sure if the fuel is of good quality. With it set to this you can run lower octane fuel (87) but of course you wont get all 115 hp. I dont know how much for certain, but Id guess you will only be getting around 110 hp.
Hebi

sledboy did it, and it aint cheap, new speedo, head, sensors. ect.. better off sellin yours and buying one equipped with dcs. buy a set of egts with water temp, then you got rpm, egts and water temp at your finger tips. now you can tune and watch what it does. alot cheaper than adding dcs too. i'd jet it to -20* faran, and add a tempaflow and no tpi's. ski

Yes, I was crazy enough to retro fit DCS into an 02 Viper. I burned down a triple piped Viper on bad gas in Ontario and wanted a reliable solution to run on poor gas.
DCS BOM/work requirements:
Yes your need to new CDI to manage & control DCS. 04 speedo, wire harness, CDI, DCS sensor, head w/ DCS sensor coupling. It would be cheaper to sell the 02 and buy a 04 VIperS, but I had other mods and did not want to reinstall all of them. Triple pipes, , expertX suspension, Simons skis, clutch, reeds, blah blah...)
All the parts to retro DCS sell for $1400.00. you could trade in for a 2004 ViperS for $2500.00 You would have to do is switch on your triple pipes and other stuff! I wish I did not sell stock suspension! In hind sight, I should have bought a stock suspensim and made it stock and traded it in for 04 ViperS!

kodat, I have been looking at the TPI valves too. I wish they would have posted dyno #'s. Does anyone know of how well these work? Very cheap to try i guess and find out.

I have them on my 04, I truly think they work good. The place I noticed them the most was in the mountains, took off early in the morning when it was really cold running good, by 1 o'clock in the afternooon it must been 45 degrees and was running a little fat, opened them up and it really seemed to clean it up alittle.

That's what i thought

My suspicions are confirmed. I have had EGT's and they are sometimes not spot on and it is hard to read it while on the sled. Well, I will just have to keep on fine tuning what I have.

Thanks,
Tom

Back