Drag Racer trying RADAR Running

VMAX535

Here's what I'm doing. And by all standards I'm going fast but I think I should be going faster. The sled has a Hauck over drive primary with 89A-10A's and a roller Advantade Edge secondary with 10,200 Howlers. Sled is running 112 mph in 1000". 23/33. It pulls crazy for the first 750" then basically goes flat. Quad told me to go to 24 top which I am looking for in a 15 wide version. Let me know if someone has one.

Sled is a 95 Vmax-4 800cc

Thought's welcome!!!!!

/Dan

Last edited:

Dan I think I have a 24 here I"ll have a peak today.. Where do you plan to run?? You should make a trip up here and give the NBSSR cct a shot.. 2000 ft. though.. First weekend is Feb 7 in North Bay followed by Sudbury on the 21 st... Should be some very fast sleds this season!!!!

Need V-Max4, 24 Tooth Top Gear

jabber800 said:
Where do you plan to run??
Dan let me know what you have. I am doing testing at Puslinch Lake and was down at the Welland River. Chad (CjF) plowed a track and had a gun. If I can get this thing into the mid 120's I'll bring it to North Bay. That's where I ussually trail ride anyways.

/Dano

That sled should run easy 130's with your set up.. Looking forward to seeing a MAX running the gun.. have to go to my brothers as he has my gear box in his garage I run out there tomorrow to check..

Dan

Gears

Dan maybe 130+ in 2000' for now I'm only testing 1000' and 1320' untill I'm confident with the jetting. :brr Let me know what you find in the tool box.

Just to let the others know the top gear on Vmax-4's is unique to the model, so Jabber is not giving away anybodies gears. lol

/Dano

Last edited:
I'd use a Marks-a-lot marker and put two lines on both sides of both clutchs from inside up to the top. Run the sled a few times in 1000' and check to see if you have any marker line still on the clutch face. If you still have some of the line, I'd say you don't need more gear. If the lines gone, add gear.

If you are running out of gear at 750', the rpm would really pick up at the same time.

You may just be putting heat in the pipes and the hp curve is shifting (or cooling the pipes, block off the noise vent?). Try moving your finish rpm up and down by changing the finish angle on your helix. It may want more fuel, add some main jet and see. Just do one change at a time and take notes.

Last edited:
Ryan I have gears from 750"s and 800's.. 24 tooth is very common as it came stock in the max's I have a few.. How did you make out with my drivers??

I pressed your drivers as soon as I got home, but couldnt' get in touch with you last night to drop them off.

Dano, I know the gears are vmax specific. I will need those for the bone stock '95 Vmax-4 that I am stealing from Jabber, one of these days.

toydoc said:
If the lines gone, add gear.

Toydoc the clutch is totally upshifting and rpm's are peaking at 10,395. I will try more gear and more clutch weight and vary the finish angle on the helix.

Jabber, I found a 24/15 wide top gear thanks anyways.

Thanks,

Dano

Dano, not sure if I have the numbers right someone jump in if i'm off. But with 23/33 your at 1.43 now and with a 10,200 rpm motor you should see way more then 112mph at full shift out? With 24/33 you would be 1.38 and that may start drag down that motor. IMO, something doesn't sound right, slipping the belt maybe?

My 93 Vmax 750 would run 117mph at 8350rpm with stock gears and still didn't shift all the way out.

Dan that gearing you have should be good to around the high 130's at your rpm.. What hauck overdrive system are you using?? We tried his overdrive fixed primary shieve and had nothing but problems. Major belt slippage as toy doc has suggested. We remachined the faces and eliminated that problem..

Back