96 Vmax and Plastic Ski's

dnale

VIP Member
How tough/expensive is this to do? Can the ski's off a post 96 be retrofitted? Does someone make a mount?

Should I just keep my steelies with the skins?

yes u can do this USI sells the saddles so u can change over to plastic ski's.

Keep in mind it will cost you over $300 when you are done with buying the ski's and the saddles and also your carbides.

THere was a set of saddles on eBay they might still be on there.

I´ll made -01 phazer plastic skis to fit for my -96 max, same skis are in my srv also. it is quite easy to make mods but aint easy explain...as always. but i can sen u some pictures.

ike

Already have. I guess I need to keep doing a ttt on a daily basis. There are alot of posts over there.

Does the 96 600xt take a different saddle than the other pogo struts?

The new vk540 has plastic skis. I wonder if they'll work? Probably not very aggressive though.

What about the skis from another brand of sled? I found a site with some plastics from a ski-doo brand new with mounts, carbides, loops, etc for like $125. Sure they have a yellow handle but who cares! They even have the cut-out in the mount that I would have to make in the yami mount...

Plastic skis

I just installed a set of plastic skis from an 03 rx1 on my 95' 600 vmax. It took a little bit of modification ( very little) but the end result is great. They look really good and are alot lighter than those steel skis. Can't wait to try them out. I have pics if interested,

AJ

AJ, that would be great to see some photos. The ones that Ike took are great too. I guess I just need to find the right years of Yamaha ones. I'd still think that I should be able to get skis from skidoo or poloris to fit too...can't be that many different manufacturers in the end.

Having a hard time posting pics. Give me your email address and I'll send them to you.

Can someone please explain an easy way to post pics.

AJ

Last edited:
Mudrunner,

I replied to your email. Thanks for the pics. Do you know how large of a hole you had to cut in the mount? Did you use the rubber from the stock steel ski under the strut? Did you put a spacer below the mount?

Thanks!

doug

Pics are on the way

Sent you some pictures Ike.

Good luck ;)!

How's the riding in Finland? I'd like go there sometime.

Mud

Thanks for pics Mud. We have snow on northern part of finland and so u can ride slesd allready. Riding here is bit different lot of trails but rough ones with moguls. you dont see groomers very often. So good suspension is the key word. Finish snowmobile LYNX has been years ahead of others with its suspensions, now other marks can match it. And about finish riders...Toni Haikonen was good example about rough trail rider (my home town boy). Toni rode lynx before he came to states and show how to fly, in europe he won everything in snowX. (bombardier owns lynx now)
Myself i have liked YAMAHAS from child!

On the other hand here is good possibility to ride out of trails... i have to do it in work allmoust every day in winter time. But we dont have mountains like u, i d like to try mountain riding some day...

-ike-

A few more pics for you

Here are a couple pictures of Mt. Baker in Washington State. It is about one hour from my house to the trailhead. We rode there on sunday as our first ride this season. It was pretty nice. Can't wait for the first really good dump. I believe it was 1997 os so when Baker got over 95 feet of snow in one season. I've heard it holds the record for the most snow in one season anywhere in the world. ;)!

Back