tHE DRAGON IS SLAIN

yammy

Just for those who don't know, The polaris dragon 700 was upended by a a lil ole 700 sx, It wasn't just beat ,it was smoked. , and several times. outa the hole and top end. dragon was stock with 144 1.5 inch picks . the sx was piped and was long traveled with 96 picks on a 1.25 inch connected cone track. I thought it would be a closer race, and i'm sure he did too! He claimed the dragon has 140 ponies which is what my sx is claimed to have! another one bites the dust!
ride on

The dragon also has a power robbing long travel suspension, and rider forward ergos that don't help with speed. None of the rider forward sleds are as fast as the old sit down ones.

I would expect your piped shorter travel sx to beat it on a lake. They were made for different purposes. Go try and ride down a rutted up bombed out trail and see who gets there quicker, and in less pain.

My tip to you would be to race on the lake, and be modest, because when the trail gets rough, he will be looking back waiting for you on the trail, and not sore at the end of the day.

No offense intended, but that's the truth.

horkn said:
The dragon also has a power robbing long travel suspension, and rider forward ergos that don't help with speed. None of the rider forward sleds are as fast as the old sit down ones.

I would expect your piped shorter travel sx to beat it on a lake. They were made for different purposes. Go try and ride down a rutted up bombed out trail and see who gets there quicker, and in less pain.

My tip to you would be to race on the lake, and be modest, because when the trail gets rough, he will be looking back waiting for you on the trail, and not sore at the end of the day.

Thank you for saying that and well said.

horkn said:

If you read Yammy's post the SX is long traveled!

Last edited:
Triple X said:
If you read Yammy's post the SX is long traveled!

I did read that. It is still a shorter suspensioned sled, even with the sled long travelled.

It also has 1 more cylinder despite the same basic displacement, and an individual pipe per cylinder. Have him put twin pipes on it then race again. It might be a little more fair.

Just like in the AMA, and World superbike, bikes with less cylinders are allowed more displacement to keep it fair. Current WSBK and AMA rules allow a 2 cylinder bike to have like 1200-1300 cc's, while the 4 cylinders have a max of 1000cc's. This really is not much different. 3 cylinder bikes in these same series are allowed more displacement than the 4 cylinders, but not as much as the twins.

Also, the rider forward issue is a big deal. Take a new fx Nytro and compare it to a vector, or the old rs nytro. The rs with ~15-18 less hp sled with less displacement is much faster than the fx variant. Just as the IQ versions of the same basic motored 600 are slower than the edge chassis.

I really did not mean to rain on his parade that much, but it sounded worse than I meant it to be. These sleds are built for 2 completely different uses.

A win is still a win, and especially nice since his sled is 10 years older.

Last edited:
:bump: you got to be kidding?? comparing a YAMAHA and polar-pig?? :o| Hell I would rather have a pair of snowshoes than ride a polar-pig!! Check this picture out someone found a good home for one! I call it a polar Tree?

Attachments

• maine_pics_001.jpg
    maine_pics_001.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 7
horkn said:
I did read that. It is still a shorter suspensioned sled, even with the sled long travelled.

It also has 1 more cylinder despite the same basic displacement, and an individual pipe per cylinder. Have him put twin pipes on it then race again. It might be a little more fair.

Just like in the AMA, and World superbike, bikes with less cylinders are allowed more displacement to keep it fair. Current WSBK and AMA rules allow a 2 cylinder bike to have like 1200-1300 cc's, while the 4 cylinders have a max of 1000cc's. This really is not much different. 3 cylinder bikes in these same series are allowed more displacement than the 4 cylinders, but not as much as the twins.

Also, the rider forward issue is a big deal. Take a new fx Nytro and compare it to a vector, or the old rs nytro. The rs with ~15-18 less hp sled with less displacement is much faster than the fx variant. Just as the IQ versions of the same basic motored 600 are slower than the edge chassis.

I really did not mean to rain on his parade that much, but it sounded worse than I meant it to be. These sleds are built for 2 completely different uses.

A win is still a win, and especially nice since his sled is 10 years older.

Are you trying to say that the older Vector (973cc) is faster than the new Nytro (1050cc)? not from what I have seen on the trails.

I'll see if he wants to RACE on a ruff, rutted ,trail!!.............hmmmmmmm, we dont have them here in michigan, I guess we'd have to go to Wisconsin for that!!!

yammy said:
I'll see if he wants to RACE on a ruff, rutted ,trail!!.............hmmmmmmm, we dont have them here in michigan, I guess we'd have to go to Wisconsin for that!!!
Take him to the Gaylord area around noon on a Saturday!! Shouldnt be a problem finding a few Bumps!! LOL

Last edited:
yammy said:

Trust me, you have those there too. Traffic will do that.

I was running with my nephew who has a 700 Dragon in Minnesta this past Christmas. He never out ran me. Not once on the lake or the trail. Now I was leading, and not really worried about rough trails, where he is extremely anal about abusing his sled. I thought he was just worried about opening it up. As I have found the Dragon Series really is not fast either on the trail or on the lake. The are fine on extremely rough trails, but only in the straight aways. I would put my 99 sx up against all on a tight twisty tree lined trail. Good job on the race, run him again, and you will win. Al

horkn said:

yea that pretty much sums it up. also i bet that dragon was clutched stock good clutching and it may have been a different story.

remember guys this is a race forum......Nobody races on rutted trails! At least they dont where i come from! I have also took the race applications out of my sx and went with a more rider friendly scheme...hence ,long travel ,bigger track, and racing arms out of the clutch....not to mention i had in , an old 89L belt that was 10 years old! Of course that dosn't really matter now ..does it! I never claimed I could beat it thru the knarly's,( and I won't get into that right now). I just claimed to beat it in a race, weather it be on ice ,snow , dirt or concrete. Polaris claimed 140 hp. My sled...maybe 135hp... Thats a race!

Sorry Yammy, that just aint gonna cut it. In order to be fair, your going to have to sit on the handlebars(rider forward), throw out a boat anchor, give the Poo a 5 second head start, and feather the throttle if you start to catch him!
Good luck , I hope you win!

Back