Northern WI

Taphee

Anyone know how the trails in Northern WI are doing? I am looking to set up a trip in the next two weeks. Also any good places to stay that has kid activites?

Thanks in advance

Depends where you want to go, but many of the normally good places need more snow badly due to the recent warm up.

In 2 weeks we BETTER be good to go I would hope.

If we get lucky, the storm that is coming tonight- Wednesday will hit up north hard. That will get trails perfect again.

I just saw reports from Tomahawk saying last weekend was better than originally reported due to about 2" of snow before the weekend. The corners are icy, but the rest of the trail sections are good. Looks like they got some more snow last night and more is on the way, so I would go without worry.

I would go up this weekend, but I have a meeting on Friday down here.

I am planning on heading up for the next weekend, and making it a long weekend as well to make up for lost riding time.

Horkyn, Where do you normally go. I usually go to three lakes but trying to find some where closer. Taking my 16 year old son for the first time and want to have good snow. Really dont want to spend 8 hours in the car each way though. Did you get any snow around Milwaukee?

Taphee said:
I am willing to go where there is snow. I like Eagle River and St Germain.

We are planing a trip to Houghton Michigan with some locals, 11-15 of March and they have snow. Its hour and 45 min. north of Eagle River
:letitsnow :letitsnow
Mike

There you go Mike, your job from now on is to start to gather more people for the Houghton ride...Do you think you can handle it....LOL

Nick

Nicko said:
There you go Mike, your job from now on is to start to gather more people for the Houghton ride...Do you think you can handle it....LOL

Nick

We will see what we can do! :wel: :wel: :wel:
Mike

gbic1 said:
Horkyn, Where do you normally go. I usually go to three lakes but trying to find some where closer. Taking my 16 year old son for the first time and want to have good snow. Really dont want to spend 8 hours in the car each way though. Did you get any snow around Milwaukee?

I go to Tomahawk, where I have a cabin on the lake. The trails are always very nice there, unless a 50 degree warm up happens;)

It snowed a good 5-6 inches here North of Milwaukee, but I leave my sleds at my cabin in the shed so I don't even bother to ride down here. The last time I rode down here was the winter of 2000, and that was in December when we had 50 inches that month. The trails down here suck, but I have considered bringing one sled down here for running the milwaukee river which is right where I live by (not on).

There are a couple of clubs that do a very nice job of grooming. NW passage trails in Tomahawk has 4 groomers and the other clubs have nice groomers as well.

If you want a place to stay, I recommend Moran's Landing on Swamp Lake resort. They are very decently priced, but if you want to cut car time down, you can stay at the Hotel right off of HWY 86 and the trail and a gas station is right there.

Minocqua is a 30 minute ride by sled from Tomahawk.

Here is the website fro the place, with trail condition links as well. He is ALWAYS extremely honest about the real conditions of the trails. I make it a point to stop in at Fuzzy's bar to support his excellent trail updates.

I am headed up this weekend, and the next, so I will make up for not getting up the 2 weekend previous.

Tom

Last edited:
We are going out the March 6th weekend. Hurly is reporting excellent trails. I am going to decide next Monday where we will go. Please continue to update. I appreciate the feedback....

Horkn, Thanks for the suggestion. We are in Tomahawk now. Did 100 miles today and we really like the trails. Will come back to this area. Some spots were a little icy but my so is having a great time. It took us three stops tonight to find one to eat dinner at. All the food places were hopping.

Last edited:
gbic1 said:
Horkn, Thanks for the suggestion. We are in Tomahawk now. Did 100 miles today and we really like the trails. Will come back to this area. Some spots were a little icy but my so is having a great time. It took us three stops tonight to find one to eat dinner at. All the food places were hopping.

Where did you stay? And what places did you go to for food?

Glad you had a good time. For me I go there since I have a cabin to stay at, but I still would go there even if I did not have a place there because the trails are always pretty nice. At worst the main drag has gravel showing, but if you get off the main drag, it usually is pretty nice. If they dd not have a crushed granite base for the main trail, they would not have so much meltage issues, but the trail is used in summer for bicyclists and walkers.

I will be going up again on Friday and coming home on Tuesday. Hopefully I can get my riding fix in for the year, because I don't know when I can get up north again. Now if the snow holds up, maybe I can get up again after this weekend.

We stayed at hotel Nokomos. Had the family unit in the back. It is a 14x70 trailer which is fixed up nice. Friday night we had pizza at the wharf. We ate breakfast at the diner between the hotel and gas station. Had lunch at the Tamarack Bar. Tried to eat dinner at Billy Bobs but they were packed as was another place I forget the name on the lake. Had a sandwich across the street. It was OK. They had a bon fire but no one stayed out by it. Sunday we had breakfast at Surewood Forest and blew the clutch on my sons 600 on the way back to the cabin. Very nice trails. Did some fast lake runs. Was not thrilled with the spillways between the lakes. They were pretty rough. Over all we had a great time and love the trails. They had the groomer out running when I was limping home on the railroad grade. We did 150 plus miles according to GPS and my 16 year old rookie did great and was disappointed when clutch blew and we had to go home.

This weekend

Looks like we are heading to Eagle river or Hurly. Depends on the warm up Thursday and what happens to the trails.

Taphee said:
Looks like we are heading to Eagle river or Hurly. Depends on the warm up Thursday and what happens to the trails.

Even in Tomahawk it is supposed to only get to like 40 for a high on wed, thursday, and then back to like 35 for a high on Friday. The weekend will be cold apparently, but not as cold as last weekend which saw record lows, like 23 below zero.

I am headed up with practically no fear of the trails being anything less than very good.

That is great to hear. I would like to get to Sugar Camp for the vintage races.....

Up at eagle river and wish I stayed home. Everything is mush. Not the way to spend the big 40 b day

That is what I was afraid of. Eagle river always has lots of traffic. Trails are not usually good there.

Back