97 700sx oil pump?

SXludser

Is there an adjustment to make on the 97 700sx oil pump other than at the cable?... I know that the 97 600sx had a pump recall due to excessive oil use... my 700 has been using Waaaaay too much oil... just hoping someone has some insight... thanks

Actually I haven't.... Thanks... I suppose it is a possibility, however my riding style hasn't changed much over the years while the oil consumption has dramatically.... The manual lists the correct Cable adjustment to be between .75inch & .83inches.... I maxed it out and only was able to get to .50inch.... otherwise I ran out of thread ...... Compared to my buddy's SRX;.... Both Starting from full, to the point where my oil light is on, his SRX only needs a little less than half a quart to get back to full......???

Last edited:
If I'm lucky 100 miles......? in a day of riding say 250 miles.. .I'm burning around 4 to 5 quarts

Oil consumption

MrSled said:
ya, I would say your oil pump tip is shot

I have a 98 700 Vmax and it just drinks the oil. I tried to adjust the cable but the treaded coupler was coming apart. I am putting on a new cable.

But how would I know if the pump tip is shot?????

i have one left i think, maybe two. 75each shipped.

when they go they go to full rich. this is what happens when go. for some reason the srx ones hardly ever go but the sx version go alot.

email me if you want one.

Thanks fellas for the help and opinions.... I adjusted the cable so we'll see how it helps after the first ride, it's probably shot though....... I think I'm going to pick up a left over Viper ER and relegate the trusty 'ole 700sx to 2nd tier.

Just something else to consider when setting your oil pump. Make sure that you set your throttle cable free play to 1-2mm. Most that I have ever checked are off. If there is too much free play you are increasing the oil pump output before you even start to open your carb slides.

Back