Reed Stopper notch Is AWSOME

REDMATER

tya
Website
mysite.verizon.net
TOM I FINISHED THE REED NOTCH YESTERDAY AND FIRED HER UP,I WAS tottalY amazed in the difference the throttle response. had it up on the lift and man you breath on the throttle and its there.Before when you would mash the throttle to the bar you would get a slight hesitation.but that is all gone.my hats of to all at TY cause if i had never found this site i would have never known a thing about this trick(and its free!!!!) takes a little time to take the a-box off and i didnt even remove the carbs i just slid them back a little to get to the cages.but i also check out a few things while i was in there,and everything looks good. thanks a million TY.

cant wait to see how she is on the snow and in action!

let er' rip :rockon:

good to know. ;)! we are doin the notch to mine now. the bog wasnt annoying but the crispness will be very welcome. :WayCool:

Is rejetting necessary with this mod? Also, is there a compromise or problem associated with it down the road?

Jon

Last edited:
no, if you do the head gasket and bored silencer it will run even better....but then you will make enough power a clutch kit is a must...it will really over rev.

for a 700 triple sx style motor, 8ab w/2.7 in both holes, y-g-y primary spring, 48/43 helix, white sec spring at 0-2.....I ran this in my 01 awesome....also a 50/42 works great too but the 48/43 gave me better mileage in the trail.

Sweeeeeeeet.
I just got done boring my silencer, notching my reeds and seperating the gaskets, putting it all back together this weekend. Cant wait to see how it runs.

on a 500?

I'm curious as to why some of these mods arent recommended for a 500sx in the tech section? Mine is jetted pig rich from the factory and it seems I could do the gasket mod and reed stopper without changing jetting? Are the perfomance gains just too small to notice on the 500? Dave

you cant do the head gasket because it already tight on the newer 500s, you can machine the head .025 and then open the squish up .025 and then still watch that close to with the jetting. You can do the reed notch on the 500 the port is very slightly blocked....what year is it??

easy, once the carbs are off, 4 bolts that hold the cages, stuffers (white cones) and the carbs boots on each cylinder. Thats will pull the cages and then remove one top side reed stopper with 4 phillips head screws, notch and put back...

mr sled what clutch set up would u recomend for 2001 sxr 600? thanx for your time and knowledge. Pete.

Back