Vmax 600, pipes or no?

Ike

Hey

I have vmx 600 xt and i have new gyt twin pipes for it. But should i put pipes to my sled or no. Will pipes break my engine? Some of my friends tell so!

And other question? What means jet needle clip position 2.5 how i can put needle clip between positions 2 and 3. Using thin carburetor needle shims??? where i can get those thin shims?

Third, question for MR SLED what is good clutch set up for piped vmax 600 -96 for trail running?

:rocks:

ike

Ike said:
Hey

I have vmx 600 xt and i have new gyt twin pipes for it. But should i put pipes to my sled or no. Will pipes break my engine? Some of my friends tell so!

And other question? What means jet needle clip position 2.5 how i can put needle clip between positions 2 and 3. Using thin carburetor needle shims??? where i can get those thin shims?

Third, question for MR SLED what is good clutch set up for piped vmax 600 -96 for trail running?

:rocks:

ike

I had pipes on a 94 600 twin, There was a noticable difference but not a huge one. In hindsight I probably would not have spent the money again, there is just not a big enough bang for the buck with twins in my opinion.

Concerning "breaking your engine" as long as your jetted correctly you should have no problems, after all the GYT's where a Yamaha accessory!

Now if you had a tripple 6 with pipes ;)!

I had a similar question. I have my pipes on the way sometime soon (psi's from vmax4rules.) I have the thin head gasket mod already done a long time ago. Vmax4rules thought that with the h.g. mod and the pipes it would be around 115 hp. I think stock or with the hg mod it was like 100 or so. I would think that even with a heavy sled like this, you should notice a gain. I know I won't be outrunning a viper, rx-1, (insert your sled here cause I'm probably slower than everyone....) Aren't most aftermarket pipes/cans lighter too? With this monster, I'd think any bit would help.

This isn't like a mtn bike where people are talking about 100 grams, we're talking pounds here. With a mtn bike all you have to do is take a whiz or sweat a little and you're lighter....

Thanks for advise...

do you know number for 0.4mm washer so i can order two more? And mrsled, its true that one picture speaks more than a thousend words, now i understand what i have to do-thanks!

stock can is lighter than gyt twins by 1 kg (8.5 kgs and 9.5 kgs.)

If i change phazer mountain lites track to my sled, how much i should change gearing etc.

ike

Wow, the gyt pipes are heavier? I guess there is more pipe running with twins but I guess I thought the stock can would be heavier. Live and learn.

I'll have to go on a diet then....

My 94' I run slp pipes, big diff, i also have h.g mod and a hauck 700big bore kit, chain case dropped and rolled with a 151-2'' sled works and preforms well, and in around 145-150hp.

i have a 1995 vmax with slp pips porting ,geared and clutched and i can race a viper in 660 feet

Last edited:
that's smokin fast!

I really just want to be able to keep up. My f-i-l has a 96 indy xlt triple 600 and my b-i-l has a 94 xlt 500. I think I can take the 500. We also have a cousin with a cat something in the 500 or 600 range but it's newer like a 99 or 01. Last year I was pretty close with him from a rolling start, but he had me off the line and at the top end too. His sled also weighs alot less and so does he....

Back