Pots and Pans

Sledsquatch

Website
www.simplifiedaudiovideo.com
I own a 1995 Vmax 600 taht I bought off a co-worker for 600cdn. The machine was in good shape, always stored indoors, dealer maintained, well loved. But it was not perfect, the track was shot, the hood was cracked, windshield scuffed, skis are done, carbides blah, suspension...well, typical yammie, none to be found(yes, I am a cat lover).

I had a good friend repair the hood, and do a beautiful paint job on it. He paints cars for a living and does it well. I drove it for a bit then decided to get a new track, so I picked up a camo at my local dealership for 100 bucks off. The track is 1x15x121 touring model. I love the mini paddles on it, just perfect for my ditch banging.

Last summer I decided that my back would not handle another season on the ol'compressed suspension, so I slurged and bought a FAST M-10 Master suspension. Once it was installed I was able to dial it in just right after 4 rides. The only down fall is I lost alot of traction. If I set the limiter up for higher in the front, I have to much ski pressure and I spin everywhere. If I set the limiter up lower my skis don't touch the ground without me on it and it loves to kick out sideways. I have it set higher for now and this summer I am going to add 96 studs to it. My worry here is clearance with the new track, my track slightly rubs on the exchangers at the very front of the tunnel. I can not lower my M-10 anymore due to the drivin axle. Should I shorten my exchangers?

I have ordered some parts from the folks here, I have ordered front heat exchanger protectors, 18t top gear, 49-39 helix, some boyseen reeds, some new shocks, PSI pipes and had my seat recovered. I found my machine to heat up with its original snowflap so I picked up a new long Viper flap.

Right now the machine is in pieces waiting for its new parts. Once I get the new parts in I am tearing the motor out and I will be putting in a thinner head gasket and replacing the pistons and rings with OEMS. I have gutted the airbox and I am contemplating replacing it with some K&N's.

My plans are to strip it to the frame and have my friend paint the chassis pearl orange and add some accents to the hood with the same color, something anlong the lines of a tribal strip on its sides. I would love to get some plastic skis but no one has donated any yet to the cause. :dunno:

Let me know of any ways to save weight on this pig, also if anyone has any ideas for little tweaks here and there.

I will post a pic of it soon and maybe keep the pics flowing on its progress. It will be a slow project since I am still renovating my house, fixing up a car for my wife, and building a drag truck for my kids.

All on a minimum budget.

you could do the viper ski mod to the front and loose some weight by ditching the steel skis. you need ones with the aluminum saddle. as a bonus it raises the front end a little and gives you a more agessive ski. lots of posts in here on how to install these skis on a tss sled.

drop the needle in the carbs 1/2 washer for increased mpg or litre eh....i had a 94 600 with an m10 and loved the sled, i made 1" spacers to increase the spring preload pressure for the front skis, and i want to say the front torque arm was mounted in the top hole on rail with the limiter strap in the 4th hole...i studded the track and they made minor contact with the rear heat exchanger so i installed protectors there...i had usi plastic skis and they worked well...sounds like a good project, good luck....CP

This is after paint 2008 , with M-10 installed.
DSC_0014.jpg

These photos are showing it in its current state. Not wrecked, just being dismantled for more paint and mods.

Panels in the hatch of my wifes car.
DSC_0265.jpg

In need of new skis. Waiting for new shocks.
DSC_0266.jpg

M-10 installed, possibly incorrectly, not working to hot here. Any hints?
DSC_0268.jpg

As you can see space is tight in the garage. Gotta use the recently recovered seat as a storage spot for some tools and parts.
DSC_0271.jpg

My pipes and some recently acquired parts from some fellow members.
DSC_0272.jpg

Engine bay, needs some more simple green.
DSC_0273.jpg

After installation of my new reeds. Waiting to have time to clean the carbs and dial them in.
DSC_0275.jpg

Do I want to paint the whole tunnel or polish it, I thought about even Ukrainianing the tunnel but some may say the cabbage won't look good.

Nice job, makes me want to put a little more TLC into my 96 xt600. I'm doing the ski mod with a pair of viper ski's. cant wait to see the improvement i've herd about.

Well I got my new front struts and springs installed the other night. Weird, I snapped two bolts from the cans, one on each, both in the exact same spot on either side. So now I gotta go to the bolt store to match them up. Takes me forever, damn ADD kicks in and start looking at other parts...

Started to drain my chaincase to put in my new top gear, remove my driven shaft, so I can put in some 7 tooth drivers.

DOES ANYONE HAVE 7 TOOTH DRIVERS FOR MY SLED??? Need them bad, I want to stud my track and my current track is slightly rubbing.

You can only use plastic skis with the aluminum sadles for the mod. At least thats what everyone here has told me. The integrety of the ski wont hold up with plastic sadles after you do the mod. Hope that helps! I know you can get some nice ski's here for a good price. I've seen a few sets for sale in the classifieds.

Thanks, I saw the second one, but not the first one. The most I want to spend is around 100bucks. But the border thing is killing me, I had some parts shipped and the brokerage fees are stupid high. I can pick up if they are close to the border, Northern NY. I can always meet peeps in tughill.

Well today I picked up my new skis. They are off of a 2006 Apex and are in perfect condition, they are in better shape then my buddies brand new rev skis. I have seen that these do not fit on my 95, however, after doing some measuring, I think I can pull it off. I will post pics and steps of how I did if it works, and if it does not work, I will post a pic of my friend bashing one over my head.

Well I have modded my new skis. They are the plastic saddle type. I know I have been warned, but I am too damn stubborn. It was a simple mod. I used my dremel multi-max tool to carve out the saddle section. I still have to add one piece to add strength back to it. I am going to use a piece of ready rod and epoxy it in. Once I have that done I will post another picture.

ski-1.png

This is a side by side of the original vs the mod.

ski2.png

I still ahve full motion of the ski, identical to the factory. I will find out the hard way if it fails.

If it does not fail, then YAY!

Now, I have a picture of my piston and head wash, seems like I have some blow by on both cylinders. Think I can get away with just new rings?

heads.png

my buddy had the 96 xt 600 heads shaved bored 60 ver reeded piped clutched an my bone stock 99 zrt 600 studded spanked him an th eguy who owned it first did good drag racing with it maybe my zr was a fluke 600 or the xt was just a plug

Last edited:
It has been a while for an update, mostly due to nothing happening. Been focusing all of my time, money and energy on a new business. Well, I had bought a 2006 apex bumper earlier from a fellow TYer and last night I had installed it. It worked out perfect. On the back of my tunnel were two small holes that lined up right in the center of my new bumper, I opened these two holes up with a uni-bit, I then slid the new bumper in and the original bolt holes for original bumper lined up perfectly. It was well thought out by Yamaha to not change the hole positions over these past 11 years. Now I have a very light weight, very sleek looking rear bumper that looks like it is part of the machine and was always meant to be there. I will post pics soon, just trying to get my card reader working.

I also found out that my new 7t drivers are all in, they were on back order for over a month. So they are being pressed on this week and I also just ordered 192 studs with black plastic backers. I can not wait to get my machine back together.

I also made some custom flanges for my PSI pipes. I bought these used and they were missing the flanges, I took my original Y-pipe and cut the original mounts off of it, I then got some exhaust parts that adapt 2" pipe to 2 1/8" pipe. Once making sure they fit the pipes, I then welded them on to the original mounts. So now my exhaust has exhaust springs that work, and are easily removable. Again, I will post pics once I have painted these and get my card reader working.

Back