custom ditch banger

SX_SLAYER

Well now that winter is over im going to do some modifying on my '97 SX 700

im going to be adding

2 inch riser
skid plate
powermadd or sport tech guards
a new right trailing arm (damn tree stump)
mountain bar
2 45degree hooks
custom headlight cover
new tail light
if it works Apex MTX skis ( ;)! they are wider than SXR skis)

im going to be removing

MY SEAT

im going to be making a custom seat out of my dirtbike seat. similar to what YAMAHA_SNOPRO did, i will use steal tubing and it will have about a 3-5inch rise over stock seat.

Also gotta repack my bender can, the local DNR pulled up to me and my dad and said that aftermarket exhausts are a no-no i didnt get a ticket, he just said to get a stock one or repack it, REPACKING IT IS!

Make sure you reinforce your steering post either by welding gussets or inserting a smaller pipe or plug into the top of the post. If you don't you will your handlebars snap off in your hands like i and many other guys have!!!!!!!

If you want a sled that rocks in the ditches, swap in a Polaris Edge or Pro-X rear suspension. One of the best mods IMO you can make on a 2 stroke Yamaha, especially an older one. Just a suggestion.

ReaperSRX said:
Make sure you reinforce your steering post either by welding gussets or inserting a smaller pipe or plug into the top of the post. If you don't you will your handlebars snap off in your hands like i and many other guys have!!!!!!!
thanks for that. ill make sure to do that

well i got the bar guards in (thanks T.S.U. FILMZ)

the seat is my next project, i hope to have about 3-4inch rise over stock, ill have room for shovel, 2gal. gas can, extra tools and towrops (for the arcticat and polaris guys). im also going to wire up an LED taillight to the back of the seat.

gonna buy risers, mountain bar, handlebar hooks, skid plate, shock cover and etc. at haydays,

need to get my skis aligned at dealer, my left side is towed in.

QUESTION:

what do i have to do to put SXR front shocks on my sled, i already have them in the back. i have the shocks ready to go, they have about 1000miles on them

Not much I just bolted my viper shicks to the bulk.....a few spacer will do the trick

See you guys at haydays...Only 2 months away...LOL

QUESTION:

what do i have to do to put SXR front shocks on my sled, i already have them in the back. i have the shocks ready to go, they have about 1000miles on them[/QUOTE]

Get the upper bushings from the 97 -98 mountain max. Press them in and you are done. Then it's just like a sxr sled.

The bracket that the top mount to on the sx comes off. Push in the new bushings in the hole that you removed a bolt from and bolt in the new shocks. Nothing to it.

Well, Haydays has come and gone, and I'm one step closer to an awesome sled....

Items Purchased-
C&A skis (great shape, 6inch carbides (like new), no mounts
2003 RX1 rear skid, only 900 miles, all bushings tight, perfect condition
SXR brake lever
old SX seat (for the upholstery shop to add foam to my seat)
Mounting brackets for my Powermadd bar guards
Tether Switch
Tail-light lens
Skid plate
Viper Shocks (rear shocks, got cheap, being the current top shock in the RX1 skid isn't rebuildable...)

Still need-
1.25, 1.50, or 1.75inch track
mount kit for C&A's
shock spacers
2"inch riser

Last edited:
Update:

well the sled is coming together nicely.

this weekend we will be setting my RX1 rear skid, and putting it in, along with my 1.25" ripsaw.

I'm waiting on my C&A mount kit and shock spacers, should be here on Weds.

Got my speedo joint, that will be going in aswell

Still have to get a 2" riser (maxwell, sent you a PM)

also still have to bring my seat to a upholstery shop to have them flat top it like a boss.

I'll post pics when shes done.

This year my '97 SX 700 will have:
-C&A ADX skis, 6inch carbides
-1.25" ripsaw
-Bender can
-boss like seat
-2 inch riser
-Powermadd bar guards
-RX1 rear skid
-SXR front shocks
-spot on clutching, and jetting.
-head gasket mod
-about 15 assorted stickers (each adding 5hp) ;)! (yeah so what, i want it to look like a race sled)
:bling:

not bad for a 15 year old, huh? ;)!

:worth: :dead:

Can't wait to race you accross the lake with my little 600.... ;)!

Hope we get together soon and destroy some ditches....

Nick

Nicko said:
I'll bring the snake as well...... ;)!

Nick

isnt it kinda hard to ride 2 sleds at once???? thats ok, ill just ride the viper ;)! lol we are supposed to get 4inches tonight... doubt it will stay, but its a start.... only a good month away before the season really starts.... :letitsnow

Back