sx (r) bigbore for trail use?

norwegian

I saw a hauck sx (r) bigbore for cheap in a speedshop here in norway, I wonder:

1) at which rpm does it make the most hp?
2) which pipes go along? hauck trailpipes or the full race ones? I want to go with the trail ones.
3) If I coat the pipes, the rpm at which it makes the maximum power will go up?
4) How many hp will it make at let''s say 8800 rpm, I don''t like sleds spinning much over 9000 rpm..
Can I just clutch it at 8800 or will I damage anything/ other drawbacks?

I own one...
It's a 01' sx r with 1300 miles.....just freshened up lat year at 300 miles...long story shortened...
haucks pipes caused the wiseco piston skirts to fail!...to much heat left in...
I might sell the entire machine now that it runs great!?
private message me if you want to know more..
Steve

I'd like to hear the whole story, I'm considering such a kit. I would might have bought your machine if it wasn't for that I live overseas. The heat got "stuck" in the pipes and did't get out? Were the pipes coated?

Weg, just an FYI, the coating on the pipes does very little to nothing, but it sure looks nice and keeps the pipes looking new. It will also drop the under hood temps...but the gain is very minimal. I have my pipes coated on me SX-R.

mr sled

The coating on the pipes is supposed to retain the heat inside the pipe and this guy says that due to pipe heat, the sled burnt down. Need some explanation here

I would say it had to do with the pipes not heating in fast enough to scavange and that is due to improper jetting....ceramic coating will bring the pipe to operating temp faster not overheat the pipe... SJ, pm me, I would like to hear the reason for your problems and the solution. Weg I believe his reason for the sled burning down is not correct...there are just way to many factors...trust me I went throu 5 pistons and 2 clylinder from not jetting correctly..and now its bullet proof....the key is never to push the machine until its right....live and learn. One thing to think about is, if you buy say Haucks pipes and then you run their recommended jetting and it runs fine, then you ceramic coat the pipes, yes you may have a problem...but the key would be that you would need to relook at the jetting to make sure its still good....does that help any???

here's the explaination...first of all ...no burn down..2 of 3 pistons had ringland failure...could be claimed that this was caused by detonation...after quite a bit of investigation...I learned a yamaha tuner who's name starts with "S" was the builder of these pipes for Hauck...and when originally designed...did not take into consideration guy's who would modify...like porting and especially overbore's...
so as I understand it ...theres two ways a pipe can make power...and the lesser of the two...the more problematic...is holding heat in the header section...this heat backed into the motor and caused ringland failure...this is the opinion of wiseco...and they point out that the pipes made late 2001 were changed? now I never verified this..all I know is two things...first the jetting specs were spot on and as a matter of fact the machine was set-up in it's entirety by Hauck...and it's interesting that I've compared similar big bore set-ups by three different pipe/performance manufacturers....and Haucks main jet is by far the largest ...apples to apples....
like ...need's fuel to cure the excessive heat..
as to the ceramic coating...Sled is right...the differences are nominal...gas quality and RAD (realtive air density) are key factors...
oh...also..since hauck built the motor from when the machine was new...I found out they left the cylinder locating pins out(dowels)...on questiong them on this...they claim they always do that???? even though everyone else say's that's rediculous...I suppose if the juggs slightly indexed...this could have further excasberated the ring heat/failure????

Back