strait oil in fuel lines?

NORTHMANSX

i was doing my preseason checks as well as carb cleaning on my97 sx700. the first thing i noticed was the fuel lines were full of blue oil. i thought that was odd and when i took the bowls off the carbs, all three were full of oil. this sled has not run since last may and i have not fogged the engine. the spark plugs are dry and i don't think there is any oil in the bottom end , just the carbs and fuel pump. i took all three lines off the pump and pulled it over, nothing but oil poured out. i know there should be some oil in the lines and bowls which never evaporated over the summer but this was strait oil. is my oil pump screwed, why did the oil gravity feed into the carbs like that? any body ever see this? thanks

p.s. the sled when used last season was great on oil, i never noticed any difference in the amount of oil used . always been great.

Hey J....

The oil pump feeds the fuel pump first then mixing fuel and oil on to carbs...

If fuel tank was empty and carbs were empty but oil full, gravity to carbs is best guess.... The carb floats were what stopped oil as far as bowls...

Something for me to watch for in future...

Let us know what else you come up with.......

Thanks for all the airplane adds, still looking for a "real bargain"..

E.

Last edited:
the only thing i can come up with is that the oil pump has some how let oil past by gravity pressure and and filled up the fuel pump, and into the lines and the float bowls
i have had my carbs off for cleaning on both my sleds at least 3 times per season and have never seen this. what cause oil to push past the oil pump. i have never had one apart to look inside but maybe it is worn out. got 14,000k on it. last spring i parked it it was using the same oil it did all the time, it is not like it was a problem then so i don't know... will keep u informed jay

Back