SXR reed cage suprise

daytripper

Heads up all you Yamaha two stroke riders with high mileage. I am in the process of getting my 2000 SXR 600 ready for another season which includes track replacement, all bearings checked and replaced as necessary, clutches torn down and repaired as necessary, skies replaced, shocks rebuilt, new carbides, studs, carbs cleaned, exhaust repainted as necessary, etc. Since I had the carbs off I decided to see what the reeds looked like after over 15,000 miles, lo and behold the reed petal stops were cracked and I bet that the ones nearest the pto would have failed this season had I not noticed it. No doubt that would have meant major engine disaster with that much steel being ingested. The middle cylinder was ok and the one nearest the stator was also cracked. So if you've got a bunch of miles on the SXR you might want to check it out now before it gets real expensive. DT

i tried to post a link, but it wouldn't show up, it was part of this site at one time, i think. a falling out created two sites. it is yamaha info (as one word).com it is blocked to even type, there is a good thread on this subject...

Back