Gearing 00 sxr700

BryanF721

Wondering what I should do for gearing, I have pipes and plan on doing head gasket mod if that matters. Also have Hauck 4 cluth kit I need to put on. Was told to go down one tooth on top by the guy I bought the pipes off of. He said thats what he ran. Just looking for a strong trail set-up. Thanks. Bryan

If your just running tight trails, you could drop a tooth. If you're doing any long, extended runs, stick with the stock gearing.

What ratio

Turk what ratio do you go up. Is it the same with pipes? Do you have any experience with the speed sheave?

00 sx-r runs 22/39....with pipes leave it stock or go 23/39. Unpiped with an under 200 pound guy leave stock gearing. A heavy guy might want to go down 1 but then you need to go to a 68 link chain.

Turk, on the gearing of a stock 700 single pipe, could you comment on the weights and springs used primary and secondary/helix, and gearing combo, I ride mainly trails...thanks CP

would you leave stock gearing when spinning 8900 like with cpr pipes, ??

i ran 23/39 with my aaen's once on a smooth hardpack lake with no studs and buried the speedo quite a bit past 120. That was an awesome setup for not having studs. I was running a P-85 primary, so can't really compare there. Helix was a straight 47 with a green spring.

When you increase the power on a snowmobile, such as porting or pipeing. You should gear down on the bottom gear or gear up on the top. Which ever is cheaper. I ran Power Inc's End dump pipes on my 97 700 w/ 22-37 (stock) gearing, and effortlessly would pull hard and bury the speedo. But my 2000 700 SXR (w/the same setup) was noticeably slower w/ less top end, the gearing was 22-39 (stock), and the clutches would shift out much earlier. Pipes need larger gearing to put the power to the track. After switching to the 97 gearing, my 2000 was much happier and so was I. Tink.

sorry tink but stock gearing in 97 sx is 23/40
TINK said:
When you increase the power on a snowmobile, such as porting or pipeing. You should gear down on the bottom gear or gear up on the top. Which ever is cheaper. I ran Power Inc's End dump pipes on my 97 700 w/ 22-37 (stock) gearing, and effortlessly would pull hard and bury the speedo. But my 2000 700 SXR (w/the same setup) was noticeably slower w/ less top end, the gearing was 22-39 (stock), and the clutches would shift out much earlier. Pipes need larger gearing to put the power to the track. After switching to the 97 gearing, my 2000 was much happier and so was I. Tink.

Back