Vintage race sled suspensions

Gorkon

Can anyone tell me who makes this front suspension as seen on this beautiful Delaughter SR. Who makes them, where can you get more information on them? I emailed DRP seeking the answer, but consider they have more important things to tend to than answering my questions there has been no response.

Very interesting considering the vintage race rules. From what I understand the leaf must be there or you can't run it. Notice how the leaf is there, but it is not what is doing the work! Very neat. Very cool sled! G.

Attachments

• 73 SR delaughter.jpg
    73 SR delaughter.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 25

ANDERSON? Is that a company? That builds other stuff to do with vintage sled racing? Just a guy involved who makes them? I would love to see a pair up close and personal, or even some detailed photos of them. I have been working with a similar idea for over a year now with the fox float MXR shock. I love stuff like that. Thanks Monty. G.

Mark Andersen makes them himself. He is a vintage world champ and does custom chassis's and other fun stuff. Bill Stull also make a ski that is simular. A buddy has a pair of Bills that I have been trying to talk him out of. But $800 for even a used set is way out of my price range. This is a pic of Mark's Ski..... its the best I have

Attachments

• Andersen ski.jpg
    Andersen ski.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 24
Thanks Monty. I'm not sure from the pics which Fox shock they're using. But the price is not surprising considering that MXR's are 300 a piece!

This picture tells me some things though. Notice the shape of the spring and how they take advantage of the curve of the spring for rigidity at the back. In the other pictures that I have seen of this set-up, you couldn't tell if it was a single leaf or not. Even with the small vertical rod bolted to the ski on the one side, they still need that stiffness in the spring to prevent it from rolling.

Do you know if it's true that the leaf must be there to be legal to run? Otherwise you wouldn't need the leaf. Is this legal to run in all classes?

I'd sure like to ride two similar sleds back to back, one with this and one without. Cool stuff.

We need to get more oval stuff in this section (vintage of course cuz that's whuts. revitalizing oval ice), most everything seems to be about drags or else 'leave your kidneys behind-cross' stuff.

Two different schools of thought there, stab and steer, or hang the heck on and 'try' to maintain control of a........ an EXPLOSION! Nah, never really did it for me.

Not that I'm dissing the incredible athleticism of sno-crossers and what they do, but there's just nothing like the feeling of coming out of that turn on the power, knee on the ice, inside ski off the the ice, looking right at it! Drifting on the limits of adhesion at 70 + miles and hour while listening to that 'tuned to kill' piped two stroke screaming its guts out!

Any day man, any day. G.

Both Mark's and Bill's ski's are single leaf spring. The key here is that the springs must remain functional per everyones rules. I know Mark's as pictured are steel and not aluminum ski's.

Chapparral

Check out the front on this Chappy. I'd like to see any other photos of this set-up if anyone has any. G.

Attachments

• Chaparral racer.jpg
    Chaparral racer.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 17
I blew that picture up as much as I could to get a better look and sure thought I saw two leaves there. I see some other simple shockless ones being advertised with a single leaf but this motoski sure looks like two leaves to me.

So what you're saying is, I'm seeing things! lol G.

That Chappy is just using a pair of old Cobra's. You can find them pretty easily at the swap meets around here. No one uses them anymore as with racing on ice, and todays carbides, they are too weak and have been outlawed in most places due to breakage issues.

Here is a picture of just the top 1/2 of the ski's

With all this help Gorkon.... you will now have to buy my seat. Last chance
Monty

Attachments

• cobra upper halfs.jpg
    cobra upper halfs.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 4
Thanks Monty: I have never seen a pair of these skis before and really appreciate being able to see this photo. See what a sheltered life I lead?

Unfortunately I am still unable to buy the seat from you, as much as I would like to. My guy said the end of the month before I see any funds! I do however have a Yamaha Gore-tex jacket that I'm going to sell, that should help. Best. G.

Glad to help shed some light on the ski's. I never know about most of this stuff untill I got bit by the vintage racing bug.

Just poking a little fun about the seat.

Monty

I had heard about another Chaparral racer that, and maybe I have this wrong, but I think it was a trailing arm suspension INSIDE the pan! I know there was Chaparral's with trailing arms, but this was hidden inside! It was a weird looking thing from the picture I saw. G.

Back