95-96 v-max 600 info

hotrodd

I am considering getting one of these oldies - how bad is the suspension - power etc? Horsepower? Anything special too look for in these?

Just looking for a backup or a sled for the woman.

Thanks
:yam:

Hotrodd, I Had A 96 600 With A 136" Track. I Loved The Sled, I Liked The Pogo Stick Front End Even Though Most Did Not. The Suspension Was Not That Great,but You May Be Able To Put A Newer Skid Into It. You Can Put A Thinner Head Gasket In, It Gives Way Better Throttle Response And Maybe Some More Power. I Think Hp Rating Was 98 Or Close To It. Some Complained About Poor Fuel Milage But I Was Happy With Mine. The Previous Owner Had Different Needles In Which May Have Made The Difference. I Still Miss Mine, I Would Buy One Again For A Back Up Sled For Sure

I had a 94 Vmax 600 & honestly the rear skid was not all that bad it just did not have the travel or the big bump capacity of the newer stuff. At one time the Yami skids of the early 90's where actually rated near the top.

There are alot of these sleds around and they still make a good secondary sled for thr family.

Try to find a 96' XT (longer travel suspension and adjustable front suspension), there's lot's of them out there real cheap. These machines have plenty of power (just under 100hp), are great for trail riding and very reliable, ...they consume oil and gas though (below average) and they are a tad heavy (505 lbs., ...what Yamaha isn't).

I have a 96 vmax 600xt...rear suspension is ok...better than my 99 sx 600. Front is pretty stiff, even though it is adjustable. The sled handles great on flat and hard. I have GYT twins on it tuned to the specs in the tech section...plenty of power for the weight...it's HEAVY, though so don't get it burried!!! LOTS of parts and they sell cheap. Great hand warmers, too!

Go for it ;)!

Hold off

I certainly don't want to offend anyone that has one, but personally I would hold off and look for something else. We had one for many years, and while not a bad sled, there is better stuff out there for close to the same type of $$ if you look around. Especially if its for the woman - you want her to be comfortable our there or you will be miserable yourself if you know what I mean. The newer suspension is much better, and so are the engines. If you can find anything 97' or later I think you are much better off all around. Just my $0.02. Have fun. Ride Safe. Bring on the snow.

viperpilot said:
I certainly don't want to offend anyone that has one, but personally I would hold off and look for something else. We had one for many years, and while not a bad sled, there is better stuff out there for close to the same type of $$ if you look around. Especially if its for the woman - you want her to be comfortable our there or you will be miserable yourself if you know what I mean. The newer suspension is much better, and so are the engines. If you can find anything 97' or later I think you are much better off all around. Just my $0.02. Have fun. Ride Safe. Bring on the snow.
well...I missed that it was for the lady in the original post...my wife hates the 96 vmax xt...it just takes too much muscle compared to the 99 sx 600...and viperpilot, we're thicker skinned than that :Moon: as a back-up, its a good sled...cheap and lots of parts...that's what mine is. when it was my only sled, it was a great sled cause it got me out on the snow. and the non-powervalved tripples are really smooth, you just need to lighten the throttle (and electric start and reverse are a plus). I still think it's a good backup if it's an xt, but a bad wife/friend/sig-other sled.

Funny Story

We used ours as a back up sled for the last couple of years before we sold it. Tow years ago the SRX 600 went down the morning we were going to leave, and so we took the old 600 with instead for a friend to ride. Needless to say it was a 3 day overnight trip around the Western UP/Keewenaw, and the trails were, shall we say, less than perfect. On the second day, near the 450th mile, my buddy was crying for his Mommie. On the third morning we could not leave the hotel until after 2 hours in the hot tub. It was pretty funny seeing the look on my buddy's face knowing we still had 100 or so miles to go before we got to Pat's in Greenland to pick up the old SRX. 20 miles after picking the SRX up, and with him know on that sled, I've never seen someoone so happy. It was classic. That was the last trip for the old 600.

Well ive got a 96 600xt and i love it put new ski's on it gyt pipes and putting an m10 skid in it should be realy sweet when i get it finished. the rear suspension does suck at least mine did shocks were blown. found an m10 on ebay for realy cheap

Back