New York state vacation

alswagg

VIP Member
Where would be a good place to vacation in New York state, We want to ride quite abit. would like to find a base location with close to 250 miles of trails. Oh ya riding from lodge or hotel is a must. thanks Al

does that trail go beyond map shoon,,,, that's only like 50 miles total...

That area gets the most snow for sure, although we find grooming to be spotty because each trail is maintained by a different local club. Some do their job and some do not. Go a little east to Old Forge and the grooming is much better although you need to buy one of their trail permits. The trails link the two together and will also take you as far as you want to go all across the northern part of the state. The Speculator area is another popular spot as is Lake George but they won't compare to spots out west. Honestly, the best ride I've had in NY was in the Cooperstown/Richfield Springs area. It's more open farmland and less wooded trails and was well groomed. We went 50 miles in one direction, got lunch, and came 50 miles back another way. The problem is that they don't always have the snow and the local business' aren't set up for snowmobilers like Tug Hill/Old Forge.

OnDaTrail said:
The problem is that they don't always have the snow and the local business' aren't set up for snowmobilers like Tug Hill/Old Forge.

I figured Tug was the best suggestion, gives him flexibility for dates and they always have snow... I have been going to a buddies cabin up around Flatrock Inn for the past two years right around Valentines Day, season is done around here but they still have plenty of snow...

Other places on the hill that I can think of it Montague Inn and Flatrock Inn... I can never remember which places have lodging...

http://www.tughillrider.com/TUGHILLSNOWMOBILEHOTELSMOTELS.html

(have to navigate around on this site a lil, but it'll show you Old Forge and other areas...) http://www.snowmobileny.com/

Old forge is more for the older slower crowd and it does cost $60 for in staters for a season pass up there. I personally love riding on Tug Hill. The secret to Tug Hill is to ride it during the week and stay out of the center of the hill during weekends. If Tug Hill is the only place in the northeast that has snow then it will be a zoo so we usually ride at night. 10pm- 6am or weekdays are usually dead up there. You have to understand that the groomers are out all day long during the weekends but can't keep up with the mass of traffic(if noone else has snow). I'm lucky enough to live 1hr away so we don't need a place to stay. We just ride and then head home :) ;)!

Are you kidding, $80 per machine for a trail permit. that is $320.00 for permits for me. It sounds like New York does not want tourisim from out of state or even in state. This will be a real detourant for me. I might have to rethink the New York trip. We usually start our year in MN, and go East, wisconsin, UP and then lower MI. I don't mind paying for each state but they are reasonable. plus we usually put on about 750 miles in MN, 300 in WI and the remaining 1000 in MI. I just thought up state New York would be a nice place to ride. Allan

alswagg said:
Are you kidding, $80 per machine for a trail permit. that is $320.00 for permits for me. It sounds like New York does not want tourisim from out of state or even in state. This will be a real detourant for me. I might have to rethink the New York trip. We usually start our year in MN, and go East, wisconsin, UP and then lower MI. I don't mind paying for each state but they are reasonable. plus we usually put on about 750 miles in MN, 300 in WI and the remaining 1000 in MI. I just thought up state New York would be a nice place to ride. Allan

lol, yup, Welcome to NY! Land of the over-taxed... $45 to register each sled if you belong to a snowmobile club ($50 annual membership), or $100 per sled... DEC running around like crazy checking stickers...

Only the old forge area do you need a trail permit. Plenty of trails to ride without a permit. Im not sure what kind of fees you will have though to ride in NY. Not sure if you have to buy registrations. If so its basically $45 per sled plus $20 to join a club for the family. Not cheap by any means.

thanks for the info. I am glad I asked before too late to make other plans. I am not going to spend $400 for the pleasure of riding one week. I have always wanted to run the copper harbor area in UP. I could use the extra permit money for gas money. thanks guys for the help. Allan

alswagg , save it for irons mi ,, we'll have to ride there for free compaired to NY,,,,..... would like to meet you there this winter and have some fun.... THIS IS THE WHAMMY..... KISS .................. MILD MAN...... used to wildddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.................man.............

If you are planning a trip to NY I would go to Old Forge. Plenty of places to stop and excellent resturants to eat at. Tug hills trails are always beat to crap and very few places to stop. Not much to do at night around Tug Hill also. There is a reason why Old Forge charges for a trail pass....They groom 7 days a week. Jeff Wurl

alswagg said:
thanks for the info. I am glad I asked before too late to make other plans. I am not going to spend $400 for the pleasure of riding one week. I have always wanted to run the copper harbor area in UP. I could use the extra permit money for gas money. thanks guys for the help. Allan
The Copper Harbor area is awsome to ride and I'd go as far as sayings its some of the premier riding in the midwest.The whole Kewaneau peninsula is awsome and you could spend days riding there.The snow is usually deep and the scenery is awsome, but it can be crowded on weekends.I've never saw it busy on a weekday and that is usually when our group goes.Its alot different than the eastern up and at times you feel like your in a different state, go you'll love it.

jwurl said:
If you are planning a trip to NY I would go to Old Forge. Plenty of places to stop and excellent resturants to eat at. Tug hills trails are always beat to crap and very few places to stop. Not much to do at night around Tug Hill also. There is a reason why Old Forge charges for a trail pass....They groom 7 days a week. Jeff Wurl

Not true. Tug Hill gets groomed 7 days a week and they don't charge a permit fee. I know a lot of the groomer drivers and they work their butts off. You just need to understand that Tug Hill is famous in the northeast so if PA,Maine, Vermont don't have snow everyone come to tug b/c they always have snow. Tug hill is awesome you just have to know when and where to ride. I have no issues riding at night and having places to stop but personally I like to ride alot and not stop every 30 mins and eat/drink or shop :).

Al,
I would call a NYS DMV before you decide not to come and ride here. In my opinion it's one of the best places to ride. Supertrax had it in their top 10 and No, Old Forge was not in the top 10
;)!

Whammy, how did you know I ride the Irons area? I do have every mapped trail mapped onto my color GPS of the Irons system, Baldwin area, Cadilac area and Wellston. We like to stay at a cabin in Wellson, and also get a room in Baldwin when conditions area good. Keep in touch as we ride alot from Wed through Fri's. Al

Back