2001 600 clutch issues?

spike

I have an interesting problem with one of my buddies sleds and am looking for some help. He has a 2001 600 Deluxe with about 2500 miles on it, bone stock. Last year riding his rpm's were pulling like 9400 on this thing. All the components are stock and he has the 8DN belt. Any ideas what is going on? His mileage started suffering late last year as well and has a backfire on a regular basis when he shuts it off. The two of these together makes me think there is some type of problem with the clutching and not the tach. Any ideas?

well, might have bad fuel or a plugged pilots but the over rev is very common on stock 600 triple...the only way to bring that back to peak is to clutch it...the 8abs work great in that sled.

Yea, the 600 and 700, but especially the 600, have pretty nasty over revs in stock form, mainly because the production engines were stronger than the ones yamaha used to set the specs up for, and of course the specs were never updated over the years to anything worthwhile. Great thing is some cheap clutching will get that thing pulling like a freight train at the correct rev's.

Like Sled said go with an 8ab with 2.4 grams in the inner hole and run a 51/43 helix wrapped to 60*or 70* for a better back shift. Drop 1 tooth on the upper sprocket and hold on ;)!

I Am Having The Same Problem. Is There Anything We Can Do With Just Weight, No Helix. Its A MONEY THING. DOES ANYONE HAVE PART #S

Thanks for the info guys! I recalled something about overrev problems, but didn't think they were that bad. Clutch kit it is!

I liked the 8ab w/3.1 g in both holes, stock primary, 48/43 with green sec spring at 80 ...15 mm rollers

Based on the way the 8ch looks I would say yes but I have never tried it...its very similar in overall weight placement...

wow, Thats the highest overrev I've seen on a 600 tripple, I though my wifes Vmax 600 tripple was bad at 9100rpm. My SX-R spun about 8800rpm after break in also. 51/43 helix brought it down a little, and Empty 8ca's (same as 8ab's but heavier) brought it down too much, I see about 8200rpm now and I hope the thin headgasket and reed stopper notching bring it back to ~8400rpm. Once I've got mine working good the same setup is going in the wifes sled. Even underreving to only 8200rpm my sled pulls better than it did over reving to 8800rpm.

Check clutches for alignment & centre to centre..that will make overrev worse. Run 4.5 gram rivet in the tip & a 3.6 in the 1st hole..should get ya close for about $5.00 in parts.The 600 comes with 15mm rollers allready.

What rivets would you run in the 8ab's if we left the secondary stock? It sounds like a 2.4 in the center should be close?

Thanks Sled! I think I will try the 2.4 and add the .8 if needed. Thanks again for all the help!

By the way, the back fire problem was two plugged pilots-thanks for the tip! While I have this thing apart, should I jet the mains down? Seems pretty fat. Run as cold as -30F, but not at WOT. Any tips on sizing?

The head gasket mod is pulling out the thickest plate if I remember correctly? I believe it leaves two or three of the thin gaskets? Could you please confirm and thanks again for the help!

Back