New seat need fiber glass suggestions.

jwiedmayer

Well, I went a little different route then most to raise the seat on the old vmax. Now I need to make some fiberglass parts to fill in the gaps. Any suggestions on what to use for the plug? I was thinking foam or clay. The foam might get ate by the fiberglass and I'm not sure how you could get the clay out of after curing the fiber glass.

Attachments

• IMG_3354_1.JPG
    IMG_3354_1.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3355_1.JPG
    IMG_3355_1.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 54

I would build 2 plywood upside down Us with flat plywood holding their shape. Pull it off, then cover it with cloth then fiberglass resin like the speaker guys do. What holds the back of the seat up. I was contemplating doing same thing with RX1 seat. Nice.

Tape all of the parts that you do not want to get fibreglass on. Bottom coat should be a masking tape, second coat is duct or tuck tape, this prevents any seepage.

Take fleece material and stretch it over the areas you need to glass, I would use 3M super 20 spray glue to adhere it to the tape.

Use your resin and brush it on to the fleece making sure it soaks through it.

Let it dry.

Once dry and the fleece is stiff you can now remove it and start adding fibreglass to the mold that you just made, add enough to make it strong for your purpose, if you need it to be stronger then one layer thick, then add glass strips in the back of it.

Add bondo to smooth it out

Paint it with a good sealer

Paint with a good finish paint

Attach to sled

This is how I build my fibreglass subwoofer enclosures and dashes for custom car projects. It is very light and strong.

I would take a saw to a old van body or something allready built and cut a strip with the >cut into it on both sides bend it around 2 plywood (> inner suports and do your fiberglass work inside hidden under the seat.It will give you a nice clean finish.

You might be able to work with a corner or wall to roof moulding.Cut slits in the top to bend than glass. It would be less bondo work doing it the strip way but any type of wood jig would work as well covered over.

Its covered with black reflective sticker. Like the stickers on a boss mustang.

SX_SLAYER said:
I'm not sure on your question... but WOOWWWWWWWW that tunnel is shiney!!!! nice work!

This is pretty much what I have decided to do. Anybody every use aqua-resin? I need something that is not going to gas out the garage. I have little one and a sensitive old lady..

Sledsquatch said:
Tape all of the parts that you do not want to get fibreglass on. Bottom coat should be a masking tape, second coat is duct or tuck tape, this prevents any seepage.

Take fleece material and stretch it over the areas you need to glass, I would use 3M super 20 spray glue to adhere it to the tape.

Use your resin and brush it on to the fleece making sure it soaks through it.

Let it dry.

Once dry and the fleece is stiff you can now remove it and start adding fibreglass to the mold that you just made, add enough to make it strong for your purpose, if you need it to be stronger then one layer thick, then add glass strips in the back of it.

Add bondo to smooth it out

Paint it with a good sealer

Paint with a good finish paint

Attach to sled

This is how I build my fibreglass subwoofer enclosures and dashes for custom car projects. It is very light and strong.

There is a strut that I have to buy yet. The polaris logo will be covered.

gbic1 said:
I would build 2 plywood upside down Us with flat plywood holding their shape. Pull it off, then cover it with cloth then fiberglass resin like the speaker guys do. What holds the back of the seat up. I was contemplating doing same thing with RX1 seat. Nice.

My progress to date

Getting closer. I still have to do a lot of final fitting.

Attachments

• IMG_3395.JPG
    IMG_3395.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3392.JPG
    IMG_3392.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3394.JPG
    IMG_3394.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3394.JPG
    IMG_3394.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 25
Finally put together

Attached are the completed pictures. I still have not rode it but it feels good!

Attachments

• IMG_3540.JPG
    IMG_3540.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3539.JPG
    IMG_3539.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 43
I'm parting this sled out if anyone wants the tank, seat, and rest of the stuff to put the polaris seat on a Yami sled.

Back