Clutching ideas

FuzzButt

Hello,

A primer on my issue first. '97 vmax 600 twin. Has the .8mm head gasket (2 layer) and notched reed stopers. Has 6700 miles. Clutch has never been touched except a cleaning by me. Engine spins some 500 RPM faster than I want. I see some corosion on the rollers and the spring may be weak. It does engage at the correct rpm and shifts good and linear.

Now I know I have a few options. I know it needs service soon. Should I stay with replacement yamaha parts for the primary. Get a stock spring and rollers and add the .8gram aluminum rivits to the tips? Pick up the clutch kit from Maxx Perf for the sled and other OEM replacement parts? Should I also get the Oilite bushing and new outer cover for it?

Or replace the worn parts with correct OEM parts and grab the Heel Clickers from Super Torquer? The kit will cost me some $250 all together plus a few small parts from Yamaha.

I am mainly a trail rider. No racing really. Want good mileage. I don't want a hard engaging clutch that lugs the 600 down driving trail speeds.

I almost forgot I am not mr. money bags so I would rather keep the costs down.

I might mention that I still ahve the stock track under it and maybe if I come across a bunch of money someday I plan on sticking a good 1" or 1.25" camoplast under it if I can get it to fit. So what ever I do I guess I should take that into consideration.

Thanks,

Chris :rocks:

I would go with the stock yamaha parts if you aren't planning on doing any racing, as the aftermarkets will be very aggressive for regular trail riding it sounds like.

This is great. I removed my primary today. 5 minute job using the clutch holder and a breaker bar instead of the impact equipment.

The 8cr fly weights that are installed have rivits in both holes already. Good news is the rollers seem to be in ok shape but feel a bit loose.

what i always do when the year is over or just begining i always replace my rollers and clean everything i learned my lesson from this i forgot one year to replace my rollers and ruined two of my heel clickers not a bad idea to replace rollers every year u will save in the long run.

Now for the odd question. What is the difference between the long and short covers? I know I have the short cover right now.

Also is there an easy way to tell if your rollers are 8mm or 9mm ID rollers without taking them off?

I think I'll just get the clutch back to perfect shape before to much weight swapping.

Back