dive belt question

REDMATER

tya
Website
mysite.verizon.net
what do you use to clean a new belt, i know they use a flash coating on it to remove it from the mold.what is the formula for cleaning the belt. Also what do you use to peen over the rivets in the weights and on what side of the weight do they go through.i have the weights and rivets and i want to get this step done while i wait for my helix.

thanks

Are you Serious???? You make replies like your a clutching master and you dont even know which way to drive a rivet in a weight? Do you need pictures on how to twist the secondary spring too....or help getting the belt back on? ===SRXSRULE===

I'd like to hear a valid answer on both questions.

I stick mine in the dish washer alone just letting the hot water do the trick.

I might have to replace a few rivits and would like to know what to use to peen over the rivits with, Well besides a hammer.

Chris

srx rules get bent i never said i was a clutch wizard but apparently you work for yamaha as a test pilot to bad its for there golf carts.so why didnt you just anwser the question instead of be so full of yourself. thanks but no thanks i will ask mr sled!

REDMATER said:
what do you use to clean a new belt, i know they use a flash coating on it to remove it from the mold.what is the formula for cleaning the belt. Also what do you use to peen over the rivets in the weights and on what side of the weight do they go through.i have the weights and rivets and i want to get this step done while i wait for my helix.

thanks

Dish soap & water works great, simply throw the belt in the sink while the wife if doing the dishes ;)!

I am by no means a clutching wizard but I out of habit would always load the weights so the peened/smashed side was on the leading side of the centrifigal force using a bench vise for installation, but honestly it really doesn't matter at all.

Of coarse I my be flamed for the last comment by the smart people. :D:DP

thanks sx for the great info not all of us here are clutch wizards but in time i wil master the art of clutching and tuning at least for the sled i own and like my 79 chevelle that turns 9's in the quarter mile which i tune and race regularly will rip as well. once again thanks

knowledge is power but dont let it go to your head,share knowledge and you will reap the rewards!

The clutch weights should have a bevel on one side and a matching bevel on the loading weights. As for the belt, I scuff up my primary sheaves with a scotchbrite pad and run the machine with the new belt easy for the first while. As for the the "peening" process, ...I use a hammer, ...not very eligant but works, ...I bought some used weights off of Bluebyou a few weeks ago and I was very impressed with the weight installation, ...not sure how he did it but it both surfaces were very clean.

Last edited:
REDMATER said:
thanks sx for the great info not all of us here are clutch wizards but in time i wil master the art of clutching and tuning at least for the sled i own and like my 79 chevelle that turns 9's in the quarter mile which i tune and race regularly will rip as well. once again thanks

knowledge is power but dont let it go to your head,share knowledge and you will reap the rewards!
................I did not know they made a 79 chevelle?.....What motor do you have in it to runs 9's...just curious?

just for the record my manual says the rivet is inserted in the hole from the stamped side of the weight.i geuss i should have look in the book first before asking but misplace it oh well now i geuss i know now

Last edited:
I squash my rivets in a vice. I use two small pieces of plate so that I don't get jaw marks on the rivets. Make sure that you use the center of the vice and start off with the tapered end of the rivet seated in the weight. It does a really clean install.

Back