Vmax-4 stroke

Master of Faster

Lifetime Member
I thought I'd share my latest project with you guys. Started it a week or so ago. With parts availablity getting tougher for the Vmax-4 motors I decided it was time for something a little newer, RX-1 motor. The plan this year is to hit it with a pretty big shot of nitrous and then next year I will build a turbo setup for it.

The frame has been chopped, need to finish boxing it in still. Had to chop up, lengthen, and narrow the steering stem, then bend up a custom tie rod to clear the motor. The motor mounts are finished, the rears are simple aluminum angles and the fronts are made of 3/4" chromoly tubing. The CDI, volt. reg, and oil tank are mounted. We relocated the radiator and just need to finish the plumbing. The exhaust is only partial but I have a plan for it. Hoping to be able to fire it up within the next three weeks, but I still have a bunch of little odds n ends parts I need from an RX-1.

What do you think?

PC060465.jpg

PC180469.jpg

PC180470.jpg

PC180472.jpg

PC180473.jpg

You may want to open a slot in the tunnel just below the muffler. Even though you provided a tunnel in the bottom of the seat for the exhaust, there will be a lot of trapped heat. The RX-1 exhaust is open to the tunnel/track and is snow and air cooled. I would also line the tunnel in the seat with some heat reflective foil, you can get it from Jegs or Summit.

Sorry sledsquatch, think I'll keep this one, lol. I have a differenet problem than you, I have the knowledge and the tools/materials, but don't really have the time. If I don't knock this thing out in the few weeks I have between school semesters right now there are going to be a few 2am work nights in the near future I'm sure. Don't know why I get myself into these things...

Thanks for the suggestion Jim, but I don't think I'll have too many heat issues with this one. Its just a drag sled so it probably won't get more than a couple of passes without a cooldown, and I've got a nice sized air gap between the exhaust and seat, much more than an RX-1.

Wow what a project maybe i will be able to see this in person some day. GREAT JOB

chadg

chadg said:
Wow what a project maybe i will be able to see this in person some day. GREAT JOB

chadg

Ya no kidding, i'm just down the road in freeland. Where are you going to be racing this thing????? Or maybe a peek for some beers!!!! :beer:

Close to here we usually run out at the end of Linwood Rd on the bay. Sometimes on Beyer's pond out in Zilwaukee. Used to play around on the Kawkawlin in Bay City but DNR has become a PITA there. If you really wanna see it in person you are more than welcome to stop by, shoot me a PM sometime. ;)!

Master of Faster said:
Close to here we usually run out at the end of Linwood Rd on the bay. Sometimes on Beyer's pond out in Zilwaukee. Used to play around on the Kawkawlin in Bay City but DNR has become a PITA there. If you really wanna see it in person you are more than welcome to stop by, shoot me a PM sometime. ;)!

You ever run around here. We follow the creek up to the flats and out to st. charles and such. Really fun ride, about 75 miles round trip or so and a couple bars on the way. If the river will ever freeze this year i'll give ya a PM and maybe you and some buddies and my buddies can hook up for a ride. They race in st. charles every weekend. I got a new viper i'm thinking about seeing what it can do against a few sleds. we leave right from my front yard so you would just have to trailer here. Always lookin for some new friends to ride with. ;)!

Yeah I've heard about that ride out to St. Charles before. I plan on getting out there at least once this year to check out the racing, I've heard its pretty good.

Small update, fuel system is all figured out, mounted the tank, pump and regulator. Cooling system is pretty much done. I didn't want to mount the motor too far to the left side of the sled so I had to machine the jackshaft and the secondary side bearing mount to move them inward to get the clutch offest right. Pretty much all the mock-up stuff is done so I'm going to pull the motor back out, get the frame welded up and then start putting it together for good. Should be making some noise in no time.

PC230481.jpg

PC240488.jpg

Pro-4 billet secondary
PC240484.jpg

PC240486.jpg

Coming along nicely. I got the frame all boxed back in, the motor is finish mounted and aligned. Fuel and oil systems are completely done. Battery is mounted. I need to pick up one elbow and the coolant will be done. Wiring is about 90% complete, just gotta make a couple battery cables and wire the temp sensor. Waiting on a couple exhaust gaskets and should be able to fire it up within the next few days, possibly some test passes next weekend.

PC260490.jpg

PC260491.jpg

PC270492.jpg

PC270496.jpg

PC270497.jpg

Back