Rear and centre spring on a 2000 SX700R

greg

Would anyone know which of the optional rear and centre springs I should use on a 2000 SX700R. The sled currently has the stock springs that are adjusted to the maxium and it sags down 4 inches when I sit on it. I am 250 pounds with gear and mostly do agressive trail riding. The stock rates are rear: 2.8-4.8
centre: 1.5-2.5
The options are rear spring rate: 1) 3.0-5.0
2) 3.3-5.3
3) 3.5-5.5
centre spring rate: 1) 1.7-2.7
2) 1.7-3.3
Thanks Greg

if your a extremely hard rider go with the 3.5-5.5 and the center front I would leave. Remember one thing if you dont use all of your travel it really a waste..so be careful ;)! .

Be careful with that super heavy rear. I had one and it was stiff. I weigh more than you and ran it in the soft fra, and 15mm less spring tension. the 3.3-5.3 is really close to the same and way cheaper. Viper Dave may still have my old 3.5-5.5 for sale, Pm him or post for him. Maxdlx

Mr. Sled,
The centre shock is bottoming out aswell; "W-arm" bumpers are bottoming. Do you think just the rear spring will solve the centre shock bottoming as well as the sag when I sit on it. Do you have any idea of how stiff the sled will be with the heaviest spring? I understand that the sled is supposed to drop 1-2 inches when sat on; am I correct?
Thank you Greg

how much weight transfer are you running ??...I would maybe try as maxi said on the rear spring and jump up a size on the center spring then....its been some time since my SX-R had a stock skid in it but I think mine was hard to get to stop from bottoming too...but I did find more transfer it had dialed in the worse the skid rode...

maxdlx,
you said the 3.3-5.3 is really close to the same. I did not quite understand; is it closer to the heaviest spring or the stock spring?
Thanks Greg

ps

the 3.3-5.3 is real close to the 3.5-5.5. I tried a heavy center too with my ohlins and it really screwed the ride up. I'd try the rear first then the center. Maxdlx PS also don't worry about how much the rear bumper sags, worry about having 50/50 gap on your transfer rod gap. It will tell more than rear bumper sag.

Last edited:
springs

Stock, as new, SXR sag is 40% of suspension travel. When you sit on your sled the distance between the upper and lower spacers on the transfer rods should be equal. What I have found from experience (5 years and 15,500 miles) is that if you set up the rear skid as per factory directions the sled will ride VERY stiff. This is because the center shock has a very weak spring and as soon as it collapses the suspension couples and the rear shock starts to compress. The rear shock spring is very stiff and is great for pounding thru 3 foot bumps and prevents bottoming but also contributes to a very harsh ride. I weight about 190 with gear and have found that my sled rides MUCH better with the center shock spring adjuster cranked up all the way. It is no M-10 but the proaction suspension can be made to work. I'm trying a stiffer center spring this season and will adjust it up and down to see how it goes. The problem I see is that springs and shocks need to be calibrated together. Yamaha has not done a good job in this reguard and with the proaction skid on its final days it is unlikley we will ever get the proper calibration for our sleds. Good luck with yours:

Back