Clutch parts are expensive $$$

Morley

Wow, I guess clutch parts are very expensive..

Anyway, here is the rundown on cost I got from the dealer last night.
They want to charge me 250$ in parts for this:

1 handgrip (warmer)

Clutch Parts: (Primary)
----------------------
3 rollers
3 pins
6 washers (I think it was 6)
2 Main bushings

Whats even worse If I were to get them to do it, it would cost me 725$
ahahahahahahahaha Now that was funny.. lol

So my question is, when I spin the rollers, they spin nicely and
look pretty smooth from what I can see.. I little rust on the edges where they don't touch the weights, but other than that they seem to me like they are good.
How can I tell if these parts really need to be changed? Like the 2 main bushings, rollers, pins etc?
Any help is apreciated,

Morley

97 sx700

go to this post "Mr.sled took clutch apart and look what i found,we are discussing the same topic,i have my clutch torn down as well.

REDMATER said:
go to this post "Mr.sled took clutch apart and look what i found,we are discussing the same topic,i have my clutch torn down as well.

THanks, that helps me a bit.. but I also have other questions in my post
that are not answered in that other post.

Like how to tell if I need to replace the main bushings?

well my manual states that if any part looks excessivly worn it should be replace,i know what your saying about thease part being expensive,i have over 6000 miles on my clutches with out any problems but now that i have the primary apart i am going over everything and if it a part looks bad im replacing it,and from now on i will pull the clutches every season and clean them and inspect them for wear.i geuss it one of those pay a little now or alot down the road.if one part is really worn that part in question may effect other parts to wear prematurely as well. but as far as the bushings here are the wear limits

slider halves max clearance 0.3mm [0.012in] for each pair
finger weight bushing inside diameter wear limit 8.3mm [0.327in.]
roller bushing inside diameter wearlimit 9.3mm [0.366in.]
the other 2 bushing have no specs, the cover bushing it states if it is damaged or exceivly worn to replace it. hope this helps.also do not use solvent on the weights or roller it will damage the duralon washers and bushing.
thease specs are out of my manual

Back