SRX still the bench mark

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I don't know how many posts I've read on here where guys with SRX's have buds that are buying bigger cc sleds just to beat them. :rofl: It's really quite pathetic when you think about it I mean it takes an extremely well tuned 800 or a 1000 to beat the little 700.After all these years the SRX is still slaying giants.

isn't that cool to hear .......like I said before,Yamaha should come on out with a new Special Edition SRX(mind you it would be a 4-stroke),but give it like 200HP and that sleek look. How could they let the Legend of the SRX fade away....when you have something good..you keep it and improve on it to make it even better and faster.

Yamaha did their homework with the SRX.And if you go back32 years ago,Yamaha had an SRX that was hot to.My bud from way back had a 78 SRX,he had it tuned well also..but..there was no one who could touch that sled.A whole bunch of us guys raced him with our newer sleds and he left us.I set him up aginst my cousin on his Polaris Triple(Brand New at that time).A mile race..Polaris out of the hole left the SRX,it didn't look good for my bud back there.Over the half mile mark that SRX started to kick in.It look as if my cousin would be winning the race and then the SRX passed him like he was standing still
and beat the Polaris.(think back then it was a triple 500cc).My cousin was so upset he just left.LOLLL

its great to here these storys. my buddys didnt believe the SRX hype when i bought mine untill i started whooping on there 700 and 800 mills. the only sled that comes close is my buddys 800 rev, but after 80 i leave him in the dust. im sure its embarrasing to my buddy to have an "old" sled beat down his brand new ski-doo 800 that has more HP. lol

I miss my 98, I definately had one that was built on a wednesday. Yamaha listed them at 142HP, but I would dare say that particular sled was around 150+. Especially once I cleaned up the factory jetting on it. I put 6,000 miles on that sled and the only thing I EVER had to do it was clean the powervalves (every 500 miles whether they needed it or not) and replace the W-arm in the rear skid (poor design).......wasn't the best sled in the big bumps/whoops(even with the ohlins up front), but I'd put it up against any sled on the lake.....ironically, I had owned a f chassis Mach Z prior to purchasing the srx and I purchased it for that exact reason.....was tired of being beaten up by them on the mach z. Well....times change and I got laid off from my job a couple years ago and had to sell the old srx.....and as luck would have it....I'm back on a Mach Z now.....with a lil better knowledge, including a well deserved amount of respect for the 98-02 srx's. Enough respect that I dont feel bad nor surprised if I happen to get smoked by one on the lake......haven't had the opportunity to run up against one since having the new Mach. Friday, I delivered propane to a customer and in his back yard he had a 2000 SRX sitting uncovered and in very ill repair. I dont even know if it ran, it was piled under a foot of snow and didn't look like it had moved in several years, the seat was faded, the windshield was missing, track dry rotted. I was generally overcome with sadness to see such an "Icon" of the snowmobile world in such disarray. Have stopped twice since then to see if I could possibly "rescue" the old girl.....but noone has been home......gona keep trying though.

wreckless700srx said:
I miss my 98, I definately had one that was built on a wednesday. Yamaha listed them at 142HP, but I would dare say that particular sled was around 150+. Especially once I cleaned up the factory jetting on it. I put 6,000 miles on that sled and the only thing I EVER had to do it was clean the powervalves (every 500 miles whether they needed it or not) and replace the W-arm in the rear skid (poor design).......wasn't the best sled in the big bumps/whoops(even with the ohlins up front), but I'd put it up against any sled on the lake.....ironically, I had owned a f chassis Mach Z prior to purchasing the srx and I purchased it for that exact reason.....was tired of being beaten up by them on the mach z. Well....times change and I got laid off from my job a couple years ago and had to sell the old srx.....and as luck would have it....I'm back on a Mach Z now.....with a lil better knowledge, including a well deserved amount of respect for the 98-02 srx's. Enough respect that I dont feel bad nor surprised if I happen to get smoked by one on the lake......haven't had the opportunity to run up against one since having the new Mach. Friday, I delivered propane to a customer and in his back yard he had a 2000 SRX sitting uncovered and in very ill repair. I dont even know if it ran, it was piled under a foot of snow and didn't look like it had moved in several years, the seat was faded, the windshield was missing, track dry rotted. I was generally overcome with sadness to see such an "Icon" of the snowmobile world in such disarray. Have stopped twice since then to see if I could possibly "rescue" the old girl.....but noone has been home......gona keep trying though.

Bring that old dog back to life. She deserves it! I hope you do it!!!

I have an 01 and I will never get rid of it. I love riding that sled. I ride the Apex Thurs - Monday if I am on a trip and the SRX comes out Tue and Wed. Those are the days she shines. Nothing can touch the SRX on a groomed flat trail...And I mean NOTHING! No...It can't handle the big bumps...But it was never designed to. I did buy a used Poo skid (Edge) that I'm thinking of tossing in it one of these days.
;)!

Last edited:
yupp the SRX is a head turner for sure had it at the drags today and everytime I went for a ride people were turning and looking at my sled, YOU JUST CAN'T BEAT THE TRIPLE SRX SOUND sounds badassssssssss

cool..out my way the Cats and Doo guys turn there heads away from me,they don`t want to see the wrath of the SRX or even challenge me. Not a wave or a smile....screw them...........lollll

A good friend of mine bought a his 2000 srx 700 new and when I saw the looks and power that sled had I knew I had to get one. Well I got a 98 srx 700 this year and I couldnt be happier with it. I raced a 05 600 ho rev and smoked it as well as many others and theres nothing more satisfying than seeing the look on someones face after they get beat by an older sled.

the srx was a flat out race sled period like a race car on rails it will beat ur *** every time and its not going 2 blow up just keeps coming back for more the rest can,t say that.

what would it be if yami stuck with the 800 tripple that they built but never put into production??????????????? 160 stock hp

bluemonster1 said:
isn't that cool to hear .......like I said before,Yamaha should come on out with a new Special Edition SRX(mind you it would be a 4-stroke),but give it like 200HP and that sleek look. How could they let the Legend of the SRX fade away....when you have something good..you keep it and improve on it to make it even better and faster.

The cost of that sled would be insane.

I'm looking forward to this season, I'm curious to know how my Viper will do against my brother's SRX. He has one win under his belt from last year an F7. The video is on my youtube channel.

Matt

srx sounds like a great sled for performance...just like the v-4 800 I would also call it a giant killer aswell!

Back