Safe Stud length?

hd_yamaha

Without adding tunnel or heat-exchangers protectors what is the safest length I can go with on my wife 99 VMAX 500 ..I believe the track .75.
Is a 1" acceptable and safe?
Jim

Thanks Tod...I blew right over that part...LOL
hd_Yamaha, there is really no safe length with no tunnel and heat exchanger protectors... nice catch Tod :)

Thanks for the input.
I went with 96 .875 studs
This is my wife sled and she does not ride hard at all..it more for traction going up a hill or icy turns.
I did not want to take the track out to do this ..
So I guess I will go with the protectors...
can you get the heat exchanger in without removing the track?

What about the heat exhanger protector...do you need them?
I looked on the yamaha web site and it looks like that you can install them with out removing the enter track. Is this true?

Last edited:
yea you should definately run the heat exchanger protectors. Better off going through the trouble of putting them on compared to having the studs go through it on a big bump, leaving you waiting for a tow out of the woods, never fun.

Whenever you are able to run the protectors, you should definitally do it. However, when people buy tracks bigger then there sled can take, they take them off. If you are running studs, you always want to be running protectors no matter what. never run with out protectors when useing studs.

Back